Ryanair flight cancelled. Then Uncancelled!

G

GarydeDub

I booked 17 seats on a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Luton return with the outward journey going at 8.15 am tomorrow Friday 23/4/10. On Tuesday, Ryanair's website said that they would not fly into the UK before 1pm on Friday so I had to cancel the flights as we were to play a schoolboy football match in England and would be too late if the flight was after 1pm. Then yesterday Ryanair announced that they would now fly on the Friday from 5am and the original flight that I cancelled would operate after all. My problem is that I rang England, cancelled hotel, coach company, and told other football team that we wouldn't make it so can't now rebook. Question is: Am I still due a refund for a flight that they said was cancelled and subsequently uncancelled? Hope you can help. Many thanks

Since ultimately the flight was not cancelled and ran as scheduled I don't think a cancelled flight refund would apply. They will probably tell you that they had not cancelled it originally but merely advised it could be cancelled. Still I don't know I guess you have to contact them, by the way I am trying for days to phone them and noone answers their call centre 0818303030 number....

Thanks Fizzelina. The below info is taken from their website last Tuesday. I think it's clear enough that they intend to cancel and it was at this stage I had to cancel hotels etc as well as applying to Ryanair for a refund on the flight tickets. What do you think??

"In addition, Ryanair has decided to cancel all of its flights between Ireland and the UK until 1300hrs on Friday 23rd April in order to use these UK and Irish based aircraft to operate extra flights from the UK to Continental Europe; and from Ireland to Continental Europe from 1300hrs on Thurs 22nd April to clear any backlog of disrupted passengers travelling between Continental Europe, the UK and Ireland"

Hmm yes well they do say they cancel the flight so you could certainly argue the point that your flight was stated cancelled and that the fact they then re-ran the flight well it's a new flight they then ran (albeit one with same flight number) Nothing surprises me with Ryanair but good luck and remember to stay firm and ask for any refusal to refund you in writing so that you can take it further, let them know you mean business!

Hi Garydedub

My family and I were also victims of this cancelling then uncancelling. Our flight to Italy was announced by Ryanair as cancelled on Tuesday 20th at around 4pm. That evening I applied for a refund on the website.

Wednesday morning I spoke to Thomson Alfresco whom we had booked our accommodation with, they were very helpfull and transferred us to a holiday in France including ferries with not a penny to pay. Wednesday evening the car was loaded up with kids and baggage and we were ready to leave. Just turning the electrics off I checked the emails and oh yes there was the notification that our Thursday 9.15am flight was now uncancelled!! Given that we no longer had accommodation or car hire (full refund given from hertz :)) in Italy we had no option but to continue with our revised holiday plans.

Email from Ryanair received today, declining our refund. Will call them in the morning and battle it out with them if necessary. I cannot see how they can get away with this! Alright it's only £200 but I want it back!

How did you get on? Kath

We booked three hotels in Spain and return Ryanair flights. The first hotel booked through Alpharooms.com was refunded within a week of the cancellation. The second hotel needed no refund as we were able to cancel up to 6.p.m. the day before. The third hotel chain Golden Hotels refunded us within a few days. It is now approaching one month of the start of the volcanic problems and we still have not received any refund for our flights from Ryanair.

I will not book another flight with Ryanair until I receive my refund and in fact booked flights with Aer Lingus this week for June.

I read somewhere that Ryanair had employed 100 extra staff to deal with refunds. I don't know what is taking them so long.

Regarding cancelling and uncancelling. I would as a matter of principle pursue them for every penny even if it cost me more to do so.

I had a sort of admiration for Ryanair but this is now gone.

Back