Ryanair buying Boeing 737 Maxs

@roker Don't mind the news, we all know how 'accurate' they can be.:rolleyes:

The problem was that MCAS could detect what it saw as an approach to a stall situation and take remedial action ( uncommanded ) by pitching the nose down. Remember, a lot more than just low airspeed can result in a wing stall.

The MCAS read different variables from different sources which included, wing config., thrust setting, COG., speed and AoA. It read only one of the two AoA sensors ( albeit this alternated on each start-up ) and so without any cross reference from the second AoA sensor the MCAS could inadvertently command a pitch down in an attempt to reduce the AoA. In the early stages of development, accelerometers were employed to measure change in pitch, but proved to be unreliable at low speeds and slow changes in attitude and so were abandoned.

While every 737 pilot has been trained to deal with what is called a 'runaway stabilizer' situation which is a condition that gives similar results to MCAS misbehaving, unbeknownst to pilots Boeing had changed the functionality of the two switches, at the back of the throttle quadrant, which may be used to deal with the above situation.
Before implementing MCAS switching off one ( or both, depending on the circumstances) pitch control could be operated electronically by use of the toggle switches on the left of each control yoke. But with the MAX and MCAS, Boeing insisted that BOTH switches be off without explaining the complete function of each switch. This removed the use of the electric yoke toggle switches and so the only option to change stabilizer trim was to use a hand crank on the trim wheels.
If Boeing had kept the functionality the same as the NG's, then just turning off the right hand stab trim (autopilot ) switch would have disabled the STS ( speed trim system) and MCAS but the pilot would still have electric trim control. Unfortunately, as we know, this was not the case.

Last edited:
@SparkRite .... I understood about one sentence of that....:)

:D:D:D:D
Believe or not I actually tried my best to dumb it down, ( and I genuinely don't mean that in a condescending way ).

The danger is that if it is dumbed down too much then it is wide open to misinterpretation and contradiction.
Upon re-reading what I posted, there are still many generalisations and too little specific info.
But I did say previously, that it could become quite 'technical' which I tried to avoid, but apparently failed miserably.

Ah sure, one can only try.....:D:D

@SparkRite . I notice, as the years go on, when I phase out after reading around the 3rd sentence of techie stuff, that wotever God made me for, it wasn't this....:p:p:p:p And, as I'm a complete atheist, all I can suppose is that me skills (wotever they is) lie in "other areas." :):). Ulysses I kinda love @Leper . Though I think it is better spoken out than read.

SparkRite, in a nutshell, would you be comfortable flying on a 737 Max?
Absolutely I would.

I don't remember another airliner being scrutinised as much . Even the DC10's with its propensity to part company with its rear cargo door didn't get the same deep analysis or grounding and AFAIR the 737 classics with their 'rudder hard-over' problem escaped comparatively lightly.
Both were involved in multiple crashes with loss of life.

I'm sick of the cold, the rain and Covid. When restrictions cease here + Spain, first chance, Boeing 737 Max or anything with wings (even Red Bull) I'm off to the sun for 13 weeks at least. I'll take my chances.

Getting away from Covid...Are you aware of the rules in Spain? They're even more absurd than in Ireland-masks are required on the beach and walking on the prom:rolleyes:

Getting away from Covid...Are you aware of the rules in Spain? They're even more absurd than in Ireland-masks are required on the beach and walking on the prom:rolleyes:
I am well aware of the restrictions that are in use in Spain. They are not "absurd" they are in place to protect lives. Even if you are in a restaurant you must wear a mask when you are not eating. Masks must always be worn outdoors also. The regulations are being enforced by the local police and on the spot fines are rightly being dished out. Movement is only permitted within the immediate area you reside. Some restrictions were eased to allow people travel outside the immediate are during the Christmas and New Year period. I postponed my usual amount of visits during 2020.

I am well aware of the restrictions that are in use in Spain. They are not "absurd" they are in place to protect lives. Even if you are in a restaurant you must wear a mask when you are not eating. Masks must always be worn outdoors also. The regulations are being enforced by the local police and on the spot fines are rightly being dished out. Movement is only permitted within the immediate area you reside. Some restrictions were eased to allow people travel outside the immediate are during the Christmas and New Year period. I postponed my usual amount of visits during 2020.

That sounds like such fun! In my opinion they are absurd and that would not be "getting away from covid" rather to a place even more depressing than Ireland.

This time last year I was in the Canary Islands but won't be going back until common sense prevails again, if ever.

I'm in Spain. Masks req.d in public places and public spaces indoors, shops etc. Not required on actual beaches, but are required walking on proms etc. This seems a reasonable balance in my view.

Back