Ryanair and broken buggy

C

caron

Can anyone help with this.

I traveled with ryanair from dublin to prestwick over xmas to be with my family. When landing in prestwick I seen my pushchair and another be placed on the roof of the luggage pick up vehicle. I went to the collection area and the other pushchair came through straight away but with no sign of mine. Finally it arrived with one wheel broken right off and another splayed and the frame broken. I reported this straight away to the relevant people, who told me it would hear from ryanair within a few days and it would all be sorted out within a couple of weeks. I sent off all the information that was required and a few weeks later heard nothing back. I called ryanair and was told that the department that deals with this does not have a phone number so you can not talk to them. They asked me to send in the information again incase it had been misplaced over the xmas period. I sent this in and still heard nothing back. I then faxed them the information with a letter and my phone number asking that someone please contact me to let me know what was going on as I do not have a pushchair for my child. again I heard nothing. I would not of minded so much if it had been a cheep flimsy pushchair but it was very expensive to me coming in at just under 400euro and was less than 6 months old. And was very sturdy.
It looked fine when I seen it get put on the roof I can only guess that it fell of and got run over or something.
I fly regularly with them and really do not know what to do. I cann't afford to go and buy a new one.

please help
caron

I know you probably checked but it might be worth noting that as far as I know Ryanair repsond to complaints to the e-mail address used at the time of booking. They don't ring or write letters. Other than that, not sure what else you can do except hound their fax machine.

caron,

I used to work for baggage claims for an airline (not ryanair). when you reported the damage at Prestwick did you get a Property Irregularity Report (PIR)?? This is important as alot of airlines won't entertain claims without one.
It is possible that due to the value of the buggy it would be wiser to claim of your own insurance as the airlines work to a weight policy. so although you paid E400 for the buggy you may only get a fraction of the value from the airline. eg E10 per kilo. (I am open to correction on this as it's been a while since i dealt with this).
If you're really disatisfied you can contact the Air Transport Users Council for advice or guidance. [broken link removed]

best of luck

bijou

Back