Ryan Air handling fee

Stronge

Was just having a look at some flights and I noticed during the booking that they had the price of the flight and the taxes etc added on and underneath in blue writing a link to additional handling charges. You were taken on to their list of charges and the top one is online check in fee, which I think was euro5. Is this per person per flight or what is it. Is this their new charge I don't think I have paid it before.

I think it's because the airport check-in desks are closing. Now you can check in online even with luggage to go in the hold.
Usually, per person per leg of flight.
So far, online check-in with only carry-on still not charged.

Yes it's one of the charges they like to hide - when I was booking I didn't even see it as it was added in at the last minute, it was only later I realised the amount they put through the visa wasn't the price I'd confirmed (40eur extra for me as booking 4 people return).

I don't think they hide the charges.. they are Ryanair so you have to be careful when booking, and read everything.. don't just skip down to the end and press 'Yes'.. I spent about an hour booking my flights as I had to keep reading different terms and conditions.. but I know that with Ryanair you have to be careful..

Last flights were a return to Germany.. 15 Euro for the return flight (all taxes, nothing for Ryanair) and 10 Euro credit card booking fee.. total 25.. happy days, great price, will probably spend more parking the car.

I think Ryanair are alright, just read everything.. otherwise you have no-one to blame but yourself.

I think it's because the airport check-in desks are closing. Now you can check in online even with luggage to go in the hold.
Usually, per person per leg of flight.

Now that you can only check in online with Ryanair how do you check in kids that are named on an adults passport? Up to this point you had to use the check in desks where you had kids named on an adults passport and couldn't do it online.

Looks like you will need an infant passport

"all new bookings will require passengers (including infants and domestic flight passengers) to hold a valid passport or valid national identity card"

[broken link removed]

I.

Last flights were a return to Germany.. 15 Euro for the return flight (all taxes, nothing for Ryanair) and 10 Euro credit card booking fee.. total 25.. happy days, great price

I would not assume that Ryanair earned NIL if the "fare" was zero. I feel that they earn some of the fees / charges. After all, there were no aviation taxes in Irl at the time of your flight. "Taxes" are a misnomer.

Also they earn the CC fee of 10 euro.

Unless you are part of the 0.01% of Irish people with a Visa Electron card of course.....

Looks like you will need an infant passport

"all new bookings will require passengers (including infants and domestic flight passengers) to hold a valid passport or valid national identity card"

[broken link removed]

Thanks - missed that on the Ryanair website earlier.

We just returned from our holidays and used Ryanair to travel. Amazing the amount of people that didn't read the terms and conditions as there was 'murder' on the go and return flights, mostly about the $15 per KG over the allowed 15KG suitcase allowance. I noticed a lot of people carrying hand luggage (up to 10Kg is allowed).If your kids are on your passport, your passport number can be used for each child as ID, as was our case travelling to Spain. Also, it's definately worth paying the extra for the priority boarding. Not the most luxurious of flights, but all in all we got to and from our destinations safely and in time and it was a lot cheaper than the offers received from the alternative flight operators..

If your kids are on your passport, your passport number can be used for each child as ID, as was our case travelling to Spain.

This is new then because up to Ryanair scrapping airport check in one of the groups specifically excluded from on line check in were the ones whose kids were named on an adult's passport like our kids are.

According to Ryanair Infants need passports going forwards (even for Domestic / UK flights)

From their announcement - [broken link removed]

This is new then because up to Ryanair scrapping airport check in one of the groups specifically excluded from on line check in were the ones whose kids were named on an adult's passport like our kids are.

Sorry we didn't use it for online check in as we had suitcases to check, but only for ID as required (for some reason?) when travelling to Spain.

Photo-ID is not required for children when travelling with an adult if:
  • Children under 16 are travelling between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland or on domestic flights within either the United Kingdom or Ireland FROM 1st OCTOBER 2009 ONWARDS THE ONLY ACCEPTED PHOTO ID FOR CHILDREN UNDER 16 WILL BE A VALID PASSPORT OR VALID EEA GOVERNMENT ISSUED NATIONAL ID CARD.
  • Children under 16 who are included on the passport of the parent with whom they are travelling. THIS WILL CONTINUE TO BE AN ACCEPTED FORM OF PHOTO ID AFTER 1st OCTOBER 2009