Rust on Stainless steel knives

pennypincher

Just wondering if anyone knows why my solid stainless steel knives/forks etc come out of my dishwasher with a brown rust/colour on them?It looks like they are not clean but they've gone through a full cycle...the cheaper knives come out with no stains so I'm wondering if it's just a chemical reaction with the water softner.You can wipe them clean with a cloth but where's the point in having a dishwasher then?

have the same problem myself . Asked a Zanussi guy and he said its the chemical reaction with the water and its the metal ???

He said the best way to deter it is by using salt and a liquid put in the compartment beside the tablet

Have not used it yet but will and see if there is any improvement

This happens regularly with different knives also, in our dishwasher. If you have ever read the 'terms and conditions' on the boxes of some knives you would have to ask yourself if it is worth the bother.

A few things that spring to mind:

Have you changed dishwasher detergent brand recently?

Does the dishwasher need salt, this can quite often lead to stains?

If they were expensive cutlery have you tried returning to the shop and asking their advice, although I always feel that the instructions (T&Cs above) usually cover all angles from their point of view?

P.S. I have found a big difference between the dishwasher detergents and so far would have to say that the Finish powerball was the handiest and best. I think, if memory serves me well, that it has detergent, rinse aid and salt all in one.

Thanks Guys I'll try that,Irish gunner what is the liquid you're going to try out in the dishwasher?

I found this too as was told it rusts when drying in the dishwasher. Apparantely this is how glasses get scratched and dull looking too. Best off hand washing such items.

I get this as well - very irritating when they're supposed to be the better quality cutlery - like you say pennypincher, the cheaper cutlery come out of the wash fine. Would also be interested to know what liquid you're talking about IrishGunner.

M

Are these good knives (i.e. did you spend a lot of money buying them from a reputable dealer?) If so don't put them in the DW - ever!

Yes they were a gift for our wedding and rather than look at them we decided to use them....still would like to know what's causing the problem...

This http://www.abtelectronics.com/images/products/PDF_Files/Wusthof_Brochure.pdf (site) suggests that caustic food particles left on the cutlery for a time before running the dishwasher can lead to corrosion. See page 11 for 4 reasons knives should never be cleaned in a dishwasher.