running windows on a mac

Ron Burgundy

for some time onow i've been thinking of buying a mac and with my new house on the way i think now is the time.

i am going to by a mini mac in the states and get a wireless keyboard and mouse, i'll then use the plasma in my cinema as a screen.

the only worry i have is running windows xp on it, i've been told that it can be done but does anyone know the details on it. I will use any operating system but the other half wants windows so anything for a quiet life.

also will it run fine on my broadband and is there anything else i should be thinking of before i purchase.

www.onmac.net has a multitude of information on running Windows on a Mac. The blog section is probably the easiest but the forums deal with the problems people have had.

the only worry i have is running windows xp on it, i've been told that it can be done but does anyone know the details on it.

also will it run fine on my broadband
You mean will the Mac work OK with your broadband? Of course. Or do you mean will Windows running on the Mac be able to access the net? I think so but presume that it would.

The new Macs using Intel Dual Core will load up and run Windows completely separately to the Mac OS X operating system.

However Apple does not officially support the system and Apple stores will not sell it to you.

Apple are walking a thin line by technically enabling the Macs to run Windows so that that drawback to buying a Mac is removed and then hoping once you've bought the machine you will see no need for windows.

I have a 2005 iMAC G5 run on the old PowerPc chip and a New Ma
cBookPro using the Intel Dual Core.

Both run Microsoft Office for Mac and Have a broadband Web connection.

I have never felt the need to put Windows on as they can handle any file in Office created on a windows machine.

One also runs on a windows based office network without problems.

You should find it no problem.
I run 'windows for mac' which has all your usual microsoft word, powerpoint, excel etc. You'll have to buy this separately of course but it's very good and all files are interchangable with documents from a PC. There is a good section in the apple website re. changing over to mac

Windows for Mac will work but it is emulation software and slows things down a bit.

The new Macs will load up directly on normal windows XP and the Mac effectively becomes a windows PC.

I've a new intel iMAC 20" and will never use a windows machine again (expect in work no choice there) Like yourself the other half wanted to use windows but after she used the MAC and microsoft office she didn't see any need to use windows at all. MAC is a very easy OS to get your head around plus you'll have no spyware, adware, viruses unlike your classic windows OS and if you load windows xp onto your MAC you'll leave your machine open to these attacks.

Adding any hardware/software to your MAC machine is a piece of pi**.

Check out www.freemacware.com it has 100's of free mac software programs. I've got some really good free programs from that site I check it out nearly every day its that good.

Back