Run-in with black gloss & yellow bollard

HMC

Trying to get out of a bad parking spot today, my 4-yr-old red metallic A-class rubbed along almost the length of a black gloss & yellow bollard causing horrible marks to both passenger and back doors. Black gloss has come off in one long strip and under that the red paint has come away leaving white metal. I've looked at some of the posts here and dread to think what it'll cost to repair. Any ideas? Could I attempt to patch it up myself? It's not dented from what I can see, just surface, but that's bad enough!
First NRT due later this year too.
Thanks for any advice.

Ouch - sorry to hear that, sounds nasty.
Trying to get out of a bad parking spot today, my 4-yr-old red metallic A-class rubbed along almost the length of a black gloss & yellow bollard causing horrible marks to both passenger and back doors. ... Any ideas? ...
First suggestion is to discourage your car from this kind of behaviour. Explain to the car that it needs a driver.
Could I attempt to patch it up myself? It's not dented from what I can see, just surface, but that's bad enough! ...
I don't think so, it sounds like a professional job is needed as the paint has been removed.
First NRT due later this year too...
:confused:

Two points that you mention that are important are "metallic paint" and "the red paint has come away leaving white metal".

Metallic is the hardest paint to match so definitely not an option for a diy job.

If the damage is through to the metal then it should be resprayed asap to avoid rust or other damage.

Your car may well require a full respray in light of the extent of the damage to the paintwork.

If the metal is showing, definitely not a DIY job.

Not sure if chipsaway are still on the go? They do all sorts of bodywork repairs - they have been recommended on this site before and don't appear to be as expensive as some other body repairers.

Red paint, metallic or not, is very hard to colour match as it fades over time. Ask your friends for a sprayer they'd recommend and get a few prices before getting it done. If you are insured comprehensive you could claim thru your insurance for accidental damage if it was out of your budget. Not ideal I know....but an option.

Back