Rumoured new touchscreen Video iPod with 3.5 display!

MonsieurBond

Internet sites are buzzing with rumours of a genuine Video iPod, as opposed to the 5G iPod which also happends to play videos.

The new iPod is supposed to have a touchscreen interface instead of the clickwheel and a 3.5 inch (measured in the diagonal) screen as opposed to the current 2.5 inch diagonal screen on the iPod G5.

This is supposed to be out in April! If you are thinking of buying a G5 iPod, it might be worth waiting a while...

More info here, here and here.

and I watch vieos when I drive just like I listen to mp3s ????

this may be a feature too far I fear ....apart from the touch screen but there is also a rumour in Galway that Apple may have a deal with a startup in Galway whereby a 'chip' can carry a full length DVD and interface with an iPod and use embedded iPod DRM to allow it to play once or twice..via firewire or usb ...on a larger screen.

Ya never know whats happening I suppose, we will see soon enough .

Yeah I watched a slot on CNBC last night where they were talking about a projected drop in Synaptics stock because they make the wheel thingy for the ipod and the rumoured new video ipod will do away with the need for this. Apparently all Apple's current suppliers are going to be hammered by the move away from the 'traditional' ipod.

Edited to amend company name as pointed out by ninsaga!

There's a cool-looking mock-up of what the Video iPod might look like here.

The virtual click wheel appears when you touch the display - cool.

(While the mock-up is false, the virtual click wheel is [broken link removed].)

2Pack said:
Apple may have a deal with a startup in Galway whereby a 'chip' can carry a full length DVD and interface with an iPod and use embedded iPod DRM to allow it to play once or twice..via firewire or usb ...on a larger screen.

wouldn't be these guys perchance? http://www.portomedia.com

EC1 said:
wouldn't be these guys perchance? http://www.portomedia.com
Think thats them yeah. Movies are too big to download so something quicker is needed . See this comment on the IBM site

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/success/cssdb.nsf/CS/MCAG-6KANFF?OpenDocument&Site=

" Porto Media has developed a high-speed ‘flash memory’ module capable of downloading and storing a 120-minute, DVD-quality movie in just 18 seconds, and needed to be able to protect the content from unlawful use or distribution. http://www.ibm.com/i/c.gif "

2Pack said:
Think thats them yeah. Movies are too big to download so something quicker is needed . See this comment on the IBM site

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/success/cssdb.nsf/CS/MCAG-6KANFF?OpenDocument&Site=

" Porto Media has developed a high-speed ‘flash memory’ module capable of downloading and storing a 120-minute, DVD-quality movie in just 18 seconds, and needed to be able to protect the content from unlawful use or distribution. http://www.ibm.com/i/c.gif
Well, according to a sourced quoted on RegHardware, after [broken link removed]songs on the iTunes Music Store,
[broken link removed]

Interestingly, there are reports that [broken link removed] in the Spring as well, possibly linked to DVD sales - you will be able to stream a movie (presumably you can't save it to your hard disk) and get a credit towards buying the DVD.

If this turns out to be true, it will be interesting to see if they sell iPod-optimised i.e. small screen versions of films. I for one would rather pay for a full size download. However, as you say, these would be too big to download at current Broadband speeds.

MonsieurBond said:
If this turns out to be true, it will be interesting to see if they sell iPod-optimised i.e. small screen versions of films. I for one would rather pay for a full size download. However, as you say, these would be too big to download at current Broadband speeds.

Sony are considering the same strategy with pre optimised PSP format movies, of course the PSP is pseudo widescreen which helps, the iPod (to date) is not.

2Pack said:
Sony are considering the same strategy with pre optimised PSP format movies, of course the PSP is pseudo widescreen which helps, the iPod (to date) is not.

PSP is bang on 16/9 widescreen the same as your widescreen telly or plasma! Plenty of website out there that can guide you to converting avis/mpgs/divxs or your own dvds to a format you can transfer to produo media and watch on your PSP.

Fantastic for travelling and a few hours at excellent quality will fit on a 1gig card.

Well, it looks like we will have to wait longer for the rumoured touchscreen video iPod to reach the light of day.

Apple's "Fun new products" launch turned out to be:The latter is interesting as the sound quality is supposed to be good - I am going to wander into O2 Experience store on Grafton st today to see if I can listen to it in person.

It is however a pity that it doesn't have a radio on board.

To my eyes, the Bose Sounddock looks better and costs the same. Have to listen to them both to see which sounds better, though. The [broken link removed] (due to be released very soon) also looks interesting and should be cheaper - RRP $200.

MonsieurBond said:
a rather expensive iPod nano [broken link removed]
.. which looks quite neat & sleek. However, the apple promotional shots neglect to show that, with the headphone socket on the bottom, you'd have to put the nano in upsidedown !

DOH !

[broken link removed]

Rumoured new Touchscreen Video iPod - now with 4 inch display!

Apparently, the Video iPod is now likely to have a 4 inch display and will be announced this month or next month, according to [broken link removed].

It will also be interesting to see if the will compete in the same space. We'll know more on the 9th March.

Of course, we could all end up simply buying MP3 playing phones instead.

A bit of an aside, admittedly, but I was looking at iPods on the Irish and UK Apple Refurbished Stores and came across an interesting difference in prices.

I was looking at a discounted older model listed as:
iPod 40GB (Includes Dock and carrying case) - Apple Certified
Part Number F9245

Apple Refurbished Store UK: price (less VAT at 17.5%) = £143.83
That's about €209.86 at current exchange rates.

Apple Refurbished Store IRELAND: price (less VAT at 21%) = €390.18
That's about £267.46 at current exchange rates.

So, Apple Ireland's customers are *apparently* being sold the same item at a pretax price that is higher by £123.63/€180.32.

(Currency exchange at www.xe.com)

This is on the Apple Ireland Refurbished Store, where you are sent "for the best possible deal". Surely I must be misunderstanding something: can anyone explain what I've missed here?

Full-Length Movie Downloads on iTunes

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Apple has posted a Disney movie on iTunes. Apple appears to be gearing up to launch download service soon, perhaps on 1 April, the company's 30th birthday.

Back