Rules of the Road question

ah, pedestrians, bless 'em.......... I had a strange encounter on my way to work one day. I was coming down a hil on my bike, fairly fast, and a pedestrian decided to cross the road without looking. I rang my bell, she looked up, froze, I swerved to go behind her.....then she skittered back to the pavement, so I had to swerve the other way. I had to laugh, she was obviously half-asleep. But I do think a lot of pedestrians rely on their ears rather than their eyes, and can't hear a bike coming. My bike now has rattles on to try to overcome this problem.

Gordanus

Happens to me all the time. Many pedestrians just walk out onto the road without looking because they can't hear a car. It is particularly annoying when they are wearing headphones or using a mobile phone.

Brendan

Yesterday, as I was walking down Baggot Street, I almost got run over by a cyclist. He was coming the wrong way down the street and decided to turn into the small road beside tesco without slowing down or indicating to anyone that he was about to do this. He almost knocked down about 3 other people too.

One of the people who was almost knocked down kicked out his foot (away from the bike) and the cyclist completely flipped. He jumped off the bike, threw it on the ground, called the pedestrian the w word and then physically attacked him even though he was the one completely in the wrong!!

This morning I was almost knocked down by another cyclist, again cycling the wrong way down the street (and breaking pedestrian lights).