RTE sitching away from elections just as it gets exciting!

amtc

So the declarations are due - and RTE decides to switch TV to an old country music programme and radio to the rugby!

What genius thought of this?

it's on the radio. No need for TV coverage at all. Streaming live coverage on RTE News Now on rte.ie as well.

I have to agree it's very annoying to break away from TV coverage just as things are getting interesting. Good it's back on now though. The perfect weather as well for vegging on the couch and following the coverage!

Let’s face it out PR-STV (Proportional Representation by the Single Transferable Vote) process drags the results out anyhow.

In my local council election in the 1st count only 1 candidate managed to get enough votes (in fact she got over 20.41% of the vote with 20% + 1 vote needed) and now they are on their 3rd count with no other councillor elected yet. And by the looks of it, even if all transfers would go to a single candidate for the next 4 counts still nobody would be elected. We might not get another councillor elected until the 7th count. And then we still need another 3 so it’s going to be another couple of counts taking another couple of hours.

This PR-STV is crazy even if it is supposed very democratic, if we would simply take the top 5 in my case, we would have a nice representation across the different parties.