RTE reports death of David Ervine last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

extopia

Lead story on RTE news last night. They did a full obituary, more or less. Then at the end of the news Anne Doyle, looking sheepish, reported that Ervine was "critically ill" in hospital, and that it had been "mistakenly reported" earlier that Ervine had died. They also reported the death on Aertel, where the story remained up long after the on-air retraction.

What's goin' on over there at Montrose?

I wonder will we hear the same pontification from F O'Toole, V Browne and their ilk about editorial standards in RTE following this incident as we did in respect of Independent Newspapers following the Sindo/Tribune misreporting of the circumstances of Liam Lawlor's death?

Not quite the same thing.

... but surely similar in terms of the unnecessary upset caused to family and friends by these respective errors - and therefore totally indefensible in both cases?

I heard the report. I think this was an honest mistake on behalf of RTÉ. I dont believe that (some of) the reporting of the death of Liam Lawlor was an honest mistake.

I think this was an honest mistake on behalf of RTÉ. I dont believe that (some of) the reporting of the death of Liam Lawlor was an honest mistake.

Do you think that the publication of erroneous information in the latter case was deliberate? Have you any grounds for this suspicion?

In light of David Ervines death this afternoon I am closing this thread.

ajapale

Status
Not open for further replies.