RTE new series of Showhouse

delgirl

Just saw an ad on RTE for the start of their new series of [broken link removed].

Is this appropriate or is it even something viewers want to see given the current situation with the demise of the Irish property market, homeowners being unable to afford mortgages and first time buyers finding it difficult to get mortgages?

Would have thought that as a public service broadcaster, they should look at something like 'Ask About Money' with expert panelists giving advice on some of the topics on this great board or maybe a programme encouraging entrepreneurs and advising on how to start you own business.

Isn't the premise of the new series to do up your house rather than a showhouse? Shows people what to do to improve the house they are in as they would have moved on in previous years but now can't?

Great, the OH loves this and means I now have to listen to Neville talking about 'spaces' instead of rooms, and how masculine the kitchen it !! Like he'd know.

Actually I thought last night's show was interesting in a weird way. The designers had to cater much more to the couple's taste than to their own. Most of the public didn't like their taste either but the couple themselves was happy . . .probably much closer to what interior design is really about I would imagine! I also liked the aspect of them having to transform something awful rather than starting with a new build as a blank slate.

I dunno... I miss the old format.

I miss the refrences to the "Torget Morket".

Great, the OH loves this and means I now have to listen to Neville talking about 'spaces' instead of rooms, and how masculine the kitchen it !! Like he'd know.

LOL

I do like it, but I often disagree with the designers. I love their bitchiness - 'Well, its err, interesting. Not what I'd have done mind you. I think I'll win'!

I agree, its more to give people tips on making decorating - people buying new houses rarely had the sort of budgets these designers have/had. Even in the good days. I would assume??

some people just fancy a bit of escapism from time to time - they worry about finances everyday, sometimes nice to just sit down with a cup of tea and slag off somebody's poor taste!

Absolutely, I really enjoy this program and I really enjoy 'at your service' as well.

I have to say though I don't know what the obsession with 'opulence' is. It was worse in the old format. You had two designers and one goes for cool contempory, and the other one goes for luxurious opulence with awful gold curtains and statement wallpapers in a 3 bed semi. Boring and ridiculous in that order.

That's why I'm pleased to see they will have to work with peoples tastes, should bring a bit of variety to it rather than them having to please the general public.

RTE the TV station that brought us House Hunters, House Hunters in the Sun and "I'm an adult..get me out of here".

Doing programmes like this when many are in negative equity is absurd.

Public Service Broadcasting - Not.

Funniest bit last night was the reaction of the losing designer when she saw the finished product. Anything that gives you a laugh at the minute is good tv!

RTE the TV station that brought us House Hunters, House Hunters in the Sun and "I'm an adult..get me out of here".

Doing programmes like this when many are in negative equity is absurd.

Public Service Broadcasting - Not.

All the above mentioned were driven by what the audience wanted. They lapped it up.Their remit is to produce homemade programmes that the public want to see and the viewing figures for the above three show that they were fulfilling that remit.

By the way The homeowners in this programme put up the cash to have their homes made over at varying budgets. This was not RTE wasting license fee.

Not my cup of tea but then not everyting on TV has to be aimed at me.