RTÉ 'Stars' salary cuts

If TV3 etc can survive without a license fee, then so can RTE.

The license fee should be reduced and the money given directly to comreg to pay their expenditure on licensing TV stations, policing broadcasting, and commissioning any public service TV requirements (by tender) etc. etc.

RTE should also be sold off to the highest bidder.

RTE still do have some good quality programming as opposed to some of the junk spun out on other stations from US networks. There are some good home grown drama & documentaries.

RTE still do have some good quality programming as opposed to some of the junk spun out on other stations from US networks. There are some good home grown drama & documentaries.
I agree there; TV3 is like a bad Sky re-run station.

A bit (well, very) OT, but does anyone know why RTE/TV3 tend to get US imports earlier than UK stations? In the 80s I used to to think that it was because we got mostly cheapo stuff that no-one wanted but in recent years you can see that we get very popular, even acclaimed stuff before the UK - e.g. The Sopranos, West Wing, 24...etc

Why is that?

Tonights Late Late is yet another testament to how bad its getting. Marty Morrisey is the latest RTE employee to be thrown on to save a few quid. Nonsense.

Eddie Hobbs added some value......likewise as did the inventors. Good music from those gospel singers. The rest was a yawn

I'm sorry guys, but I'm honestly losing count of the amount of times I hear people give out about this tired old hopelessly protracted 'entertainment' show.

I mean, aside from a small handful of revelatory moments, when is the last time it has ever been actually good?!

Just. Don't. Watch. It.

Ever.

Last night I tuned in to watch the Acapello choir (Shades) from Yale. I had seen them at a function earlier in the week and thought they were great. However I watched the whole show and I have to say that the entertainment content is stifled by the presenter. His gesticulations come across as being painfully practiced in an amateurish way in front of the bedroom mirror. And his almost drone-like speech would certainly not put me to sleep. Quite the opposite actually.

For starters TV3 do get money from the licence fee. About 5% of it. They are then free to show whatever they want. RTE is bound to show certain percentages of home produced programmes, of documentaries etc which are a lot more expensive than imports and re runs. On top of that RTE has numerous choirs and orchestras that all cost money to run.

Some of the licence fee also goes into a fund for Irish production companies.

I don't work for RTE I just studied communications hence my frustration when people think the licence fee goes in full to RTE tv and radio.

Congratulations in advance shesells! The next post gets you into the k club for life.

Watched the late late ..actually a repeat on tuesday at about 1am.
Now I know Pat Kenny hasn`t the charm of gaybo and he comes across as too nice.
I must say I thought the Marty Morrisey interview was very interesting.I never knew about the mans background ...son of irish emigrants in Bainbridge avenue in the Bronx.
I mean this is a real life story which alot of irish people can relate to and m.m. has definite talent in his sport commentary,knowledge and tact. Eddie hobbs was interesting too, even if we realise he is always reacting to public opinion and didn`t foresee the credit crunch.
Now a few weeks ago we had pete docherty a spaced out drug addict having a spaced out chat with pat kenny and a planted girl fan shouting in the audience
.Was that a waste of time or what.Just let him sing the song and forget the chat.

has definite talent in his sport commentary,knowledge and tact.

Talent and RTE sports commentary shouldnt be used in the same sentence. Why do most RTE commentors have very annoying high pitched voices? Is getting castrated a job requirement?