rsj

hopalong

builders are just about finished a room extension in our back garden,its about 12 ft by 12 ft,they put in a rsj,does this require a certificate if we were to sell in the future.thanks for any replies.

"does this require a certificate "

Any significant work will require a Certificate confirming whether or not Planning Permission was required and if yes,was obtained. More than that the works should be certified as complying with Building Regulations.
Purchasers will require this.

mf

We've just been through the same process, adding a 14' x 14' extension to the rear of our house - exempt from planning permission as it comes in well under the size requirement etc.
In terms of gaining a cert of compliance, we've engaged an engineer, who's checked/overseen the process from the groundworks up.
IMO it would be hard to bring someone in at the end of the job to sign off on a cert when they haven't been able to inspect all aspects of the job - presumably now your RSJ would be encased in plaster?? And the new foundations are well covered??

Getting an exemption from planning permission however is different altogether, and can be gained at any time (assuming that the extension comes in under the requirements). Check with your coucnil planning office. It could be as simple as getting an architect to sign off a letter, without involving the council at all. As far as I know, you wouldn't need a compliance cert in order to be granted an exemption from planning permission - strange as it may seem...

To anyone else looking at adding a similar, small extension, or knocking a load-bearing wall etc., even if you're using a reputable builder and don't need planning permission, get an engineer involved from the very start.

If you are looking for an "Opinion on compliance with Planning Permission" or "An opinion on exemption from Planning Permission" from an architect or engineer I imagine you could expect to pay €400 plus VAT, maybe more.

If you are looking for an "Opinion on compliance with Planning Permission" or "An opinion on exemption from Planning Permission" from an architect or engineer I imagine you could expect to pay €400 plus VAT, maybe more.

€400 - €600 plus VAT certainly no more.

Jaid