RSA consultation on NCT cars prior to 1.1.80

Palerider

The RSA have asked for consultation on whether cars should continue to be exempt from NCT test as they are now provided they are registered prior to January 1980.

If you have a car that fits the age profile then you are like myself probably an occasional user of a well minded vintage, classic or veteran car, introducing NCT annually would add a layer of cost and bureacracy that in my opinion is not required.

Please consider making a submission on the subject prior to November 14th, some of the questions asked are daft but there you are, mandarins asking silly questions having no knowledge of what they are talking about..

What is the purpose of this consulatation?

In accordance with action 59 of the Government’s Road Safety Strategy 2013 – 2020, the Road Safety Authority (RSA) is reviewing the roadworthiness testing requirements for vintage vehicles.
As part of this review, a public consultation has been launched and individuals, clubs or associations are invited to give their views on a number of proposals concerning the future roadworthiness testing requirements for such vehicles.
To download or print a copy of the document, please click on the link below.
Roadworthiness Testing of Vintage Vehicles - Consultation Document (PDF).
Your comments

Feedback should be provided using the dedicated response form which is available at the link below.
Roadworthiness Testing of Vintage Vehicles – Response Form(DOC).
The closing date for receipt of submissions is Friday 14 November 2014. Your feedback should be e-mailed to: vintagevehicles@rsa.ie or posted to:
Vintage Vehicles Consultation
Vehicle Standards Section,
Road Safety Authority,
Moy Valley Business Park,
Primrose Hill,
Ballina,
Co. Mayo.
Tel No: 096 25014

Related documents

I would have thought the owners of well-minded vintage vehicles would have nothing to worry about and being able to prove it might be of assistance in obtaining insurance. It's those who don't maintain them properly who would have most to loose.

The testing criteria should be tailored for vintage vehicles though.

My insurance did not change when my vehicle crossed it's 30th birthday and at that time became nct exempt, the insurance industry are smart enough to recognise these are at that stage of their lives well maintained lightly used vehicles which are not generally involved in accidents or claims and used lightly ( I average 1500 miles a year over the past 15 years in my car ) their risk is low.

An annual test adds another cost layer to ownership, we all have enough costs as it is and enthusiasts are keeping the history of car ownership in this country alive, look at the crowds that attend classic car shows here.

The same applies to the majority of all car owners, they maintain their vehicles in a safe and roadworthy condition. But there are plenty of exceptions who don't do so, and older vehicles are inherently less safe than their modern equivalents. The cost of doing an NCT is very trivial compared to what a genuine enthusiast spends on this hobby. It's a lot of money to someone who can't be bothered replacing tires when they need to be.

Back