Roy Keane retires

Ron Burgundy

Roy Keane has hung up his boots today after losing the battle against a hip injury, one of the greatest ever midfielders to grace the green turf he will be sadly missed by FOOTBALL fans around the globe,

i consider this to be a very very sad day but i'm happy in the knowledge that i was at him last match.

The king is dead, long live the king

I thought that, 90 minutes after the posting, that this would have become a 4th year anniversary party for the post-Saipan "Keane is / Keane is not .." diatribes.

The Roy Keane I would prefer to remember, played his last game months ago in either the Manchester United Liverpool or the Republic of Ireland France games. Since then he has been a shadow of his former self.

His performance in Lansdowne Road against Holland in the WC2002 qualifiers ranks alongside his performance in the Stadio Delle Alpi in 1999 for anyone who doesn't 'get' the Tao of Roy Keane.

Still think that what he did in Saipan was unforgiveable.
Certainly the players never did - and that is a good guide.

Good player but not one of the best ever as Dunphy says, He was no Matthaus,and when ever he played against Effenberg when playing for manu he always came out 2 nd best, he is on a par with the likes of Klinsmann, Voller in world football, you have your main greats pele, mardonna, He was behind Van Basten, Rijkaard,Guillit, if he was not Irish we would not think so great of him, good pro great career, but left us down big time,

Let Ireland down ?
Yeah - Irish player of the World Cup in 1994.
He got us into World Cup 2002 (remember Portugal & Holland games) ?
Because of Saipan, the FAI will improve and maybe just maybe our future teams and management will have the belief and will to win an international competition (e.g. Greece) in the future....
I reckon Roy will manage Ireland some day. I hope so.

he was the main player but not the only reason,I think if Shay Given had not been in such great form we would not have got through, I think he made a mistake coming back , he tried to make amends and it backfired, ZZ of France made a come back at the same time and guess what they got to Germany.If he manage's Ireland I hope his players respect him in a way that he did not respect his manager regardless what you think of Big Mac he did his best as a player and a manager and deserved respect from all his players especially his Captain, I do think he was a great player, and 1994 you must remember Paul Mc Grath against Italy it could be the single best performance by an Irish player ever, So he could not of getting the FAI to improve without walking out on his team, that should have been put aside until after the WC, at the end of the day he must have regretts on not playing in the WC when he was at his peak, he is too pig headed to admit it even to himself ,

a good player who sometimes showed signs of greatness. bottom line: he let his manager, team, country and fans down at a time when a true team player would not have. Q: if Mick McCarthy had walked out on the team what would have been the likely reaction?

cuchulainn said:
Q: if Mick McCarthy had walked out on the team what would have been the likely reaction?

honest answer, joy on my part.

above about zz coming back for france, look at the players he had around him, henry, viera, Gallas, Thuram ,Makelele . then look at the irish squad.

when keane was in his prime 4 years previous ( 2 if you take the qualifiers ) he was able to drag an average squad to the finals.

face it, if you were looking at the likes of mcateer and kilbane to get us to major finals how confident would you be ????

apart from, given and duff ( not a fan of robbie keane ) the irish squad is a group of lower standard premiership and first division players.

agreed about the quality of players. So even more we needed a leader to rise above the situation in Saipan. We didnt get it.

cuchulainn said:
agreed about the quality of players. So even more we needed a leader to rise above the situation in Saipan. We didnt get it.

Well said and leadership starts at the top with management. they had to manage the whole trip from the location to the provision of equipment and that was the first failing.

imagine an under 10s team turning up without any footballs, then imagine a team preparing for the world cup doing the same.

as someone who has dealt with the fai i can tell you we were lucky the players weren't rowing to japan