Roy Keane Interview With Marian Finnucane

Lex Foutish

Did anyone else hear Roy Keane being interviewed by Marian Finnucane after the 12 o' clock news today? It was absolutely wonderful. Totally frank, open and honest answers to every question she asked. Very wide ranging........ Saipan, his playing days, his personal problems, Sunderland, family life, Ipswich, Thierry's hand, others he played with, etc.

I have to admit that I was totally with Mick McCarthy on the Saipan issue but Roy has gone away up in my estimation over the past few years.

It was very refreshing compared to some of the bland rubbish that some soccer pundits go on with on tv and radio.

I agree. Great interview, but, that's nothing unusual for Marian Finucane.

I have been involved with amateur football (soccer) and have understood where Roy is coming from ever since day 1 of Saipan. I am now involved with the GAA at club level and the comparison with the FAI is startling.

Sorry I did not hear the interview. Love Roy Keane's dedication and belief in what he does. He takes crap from no one and tells it like it is. Good guy.

No doubt about it, he was one the best footballers ever and make fantastic TV and Radio, But!!! IMO I wouldn't trust him to run a sweet shop. He legged it out of Sunderland when his plan didn't work - No plan B. The fans loved him, he had a great chairman..........but left. And In Saipan, although everyone in Ireland was aware of the bunch of muppets the FAI were, he decides to belittle his manager while he was Captain of Ireland at the World Cup Finals. I can't recall any of his team-mates agreeing with his actions, even to this day. Mick McCarthy has gone on to prove himself as a manager, World Cup Finals Qualifications, Wolves today.

Roy being Roy seeing the world through Roy's eyes probably will never realise his mistakes. It takes a Big Man to Say Sorry.

PS: I supported Roy in Saipan

O Dear Sue Ellen!
Marion with an O or not
I suspect it will be easy to choose
I’m brunette, she’s just blonde
Well, we both believe we are
Lex wisely believes this could end in tears
Caveat emptor
He loves her; he loves her not

Marion with an O

PS: I supported Roy in Saipan - does this help?

Have to agree with this.

In spite of being the tough guy on the field, the reality is that when the going gets tough, Roy does a runner. He can be very immature at times.

I am now involved with the GAA at club level and the comparison with the FAI is startling.

Well for starters the FAI is supposed to be up with best international practice, no-one should demand that of the base rung of an amateur sport. And secondly, would you not be able to do an overhaul yourself, grab the reins.

I wouldn't class myself as a Roy fan but the interview was great, nice to hear a straight answer to a question, he's an interesting person to listen to and as always Marian was great, i suspect she could make an interview with anyone interesting.

Listened to it on Podcast. Good interview, covered a lot of topics. The part i found interesting was about his diet, and knowing the years he won nothing and not sure of years they won title.

Marion can interview anyone and maybe give her a saturday night slot on TV

Well for starters the FAI is supposed to be up with best international practice, no-one should demand that of the base rung of an amateur sport.

I suspect Carpedeum meant it the other way around. I would put local GAA clubs head and shoulders above football clubs for organisation, fundraising and player development. Carpedeum can correct me if I am wrong.

And as for Roy. He has that rare trait of answering almost every question put to him. He is great for the likes of Sky Sports News as they always know he will give a quote on practically anything.

Well for starters the FAI is supposed to be up with best international practice, no-one should demand that of the base rung of an amateur sport. And secondly, would you not be able to do an overhaul yourself, grab the reins.

Sorry Betsy Og, I should have made it clearer. I meant that the GAA are streets ahead of the FAI, especially at grass roots level. The investment in facilities at club level, as I have witnessed in Dublin and Meath is fantastic. Yes, I know that this is somewhat due to Lotto money and political lobbying. Examples that come to mind are at Ashbourne, Trim, Portmarnock, Peregrines near Blanchardstown, Fingallians in Swords. All weather pitches, gymnasiums, proper changing rooms, bars and restaurants in some cases, well run youth academies, three coaches per team at youth level etc.

In soccer, my club were still togging out in a dirty shipping container after eight years and had no access to all weather training facilities unless paid for by coaches and parents on an hourly basis. More kids play soccer than GAA or rugby, but, this is due to the marketing done by the English Premiership than any effort by the FAI.