Routing of sewerage pipes.

hayabusa

Hi,
I am at the planning process to build a dormer bunglow. However a problem i have is how and where to route the sewer pipes.
I have a toilet to the front of the house, both upstairs and downstairs, The septic tank will be to the back of the house. I do not want to put sewer pipes up at the front of the house and route around the sides.
Is it standard to run the sewer pipes under the house from front to back, (the most direct route). If so i presume they have to be covered with concrete before compacting the hardcore otherwise they will get compacted. Any input would be appreciated.

Hi Hayabusa,
I had to do the same thing myself recently. My bathroom was in the upstairs front of the house and the waste water treatment unit was at the back. We ran two 4 inch ducting pipes from the corners of the bathroom to downstairs and then underneath the finished floor ( with a suitable slope for roll-off). I now intend to box these pipes in and use some sound proofing material around the pipes to dampen noise.

-John

Thanks John,

Would the procedure you mention be common practice. Also can you let me know the standard gradient for a sewer pipe.
Anyone else with any input.
Thanks.

Ok Folks,
Another question.
I am putting in a double pour floor.
What i mean by this is I am putting in strip foundations, and then filling the floor with hardcore, putting in the waste pipes 4.5", then sand for blinding, then radon layer, then the concrete floor.
when the house is built I am then putting in insulation and underfloor heating, and then a 60 mm screed on top of that.
My question is as follows.
I will already have put in the sewer pipes for toilets, however i have not decided where the wash basins, showers etc are going. When I have decided this can i route the pipes on the floor and connect into the 4.5" pipes and then cut the insulation around these pipes. Is this ok to do this or is there another way of doing this.
I will have the same issue upstairs as the floor is a hollow core flooring, so some input would be appreciated.

Thanks

What happens if the sewer pipes under the house get blocked? I wouldn't have thought it was a good idea, surely you need access to the pipes in case of damage etc.

swallows,

As the bathroom is at the front of the house and the septic tank to the back, this is the format the engineer gave me. This way there are no external pipes with the exception of eve runs and down pipes. As far as i am aware this is standard procedure. I know that it is a differant situation if the toilets are on the perimeter walls.

What do you think???

My next door neighbours did it, no problems yet. Fall is usually 1:40, if it is too steep the water will drain away leaving solids behind!!
Be careful going under load bearing walls, leave room around pipes for settlement

Hayabusa, 2 things I note from your posts.

You should really discharge the waste pipe to a manhole at the front of the house. You can still bring the pipes down the inside of the walls and then out to the manhole.

The other thing is I think you are a bit light with the screed - 75mm min. required