router problem (zyxel)

whackin

I'm having a problem with my router. It is a zyxel p-600 series router which I use with my bt connecton.
It was working fine for the past 3 months. however now it seems to "shutdown" about once every 5 minutes and restart. i have to reconnect then in order to be able to use it again. The power LED on the router flashes off for about a second and as does the #LED for DSL. IT then behaves as though it is being restarted.
Does anyone have any idea why this might happen. I haven't tried contacting BT yet as I know that will send my blood pressure through the roof so I was hoping someone here might have an idea where I should look to see what's going on.

silly question, is the adaptor (power source) working properly? any sizzling noise or that its connected properly.

that seems to be ok, no buzzing noise or anything. I suspected something like that initially as it seems to a physical issue rather than network

I have BT too and thought it was the router that was causing a similiar problem and so connected up my eircom router and still having the same problem of the wireless connection dropping every 5-10 minutes. Have logged the problem with BT online over a week ago and no response. Impossible to get them on the phone! Funny thing is it will reconnect no problem each time I reconnect and disconnect again in the 5-10 afterwards!

Have you checked any logs that the router creates? You should be able to see these using something like http://192.168.1.1. As far as I know some routers (possibly some Zyxel units) alter the power LED (e.g. blink and/or switch from red to yellow/green until booted). The manual should clarify the behaviour of the router LEDs in various circumstances. For what it's worth my sister just moved to BT broadband recently and already had one outage of a few days which also coincided with the separate problem of her laptop wireless connection to the router failing which meant that it was difficult to diagnose the problem (because it was two separate problems!) remotely.

If it's of any use/consolation :

A friend of mine uses BT and she was having problems all this afternoon - I was helping her sort some problems out. She sais the BT connection has been playing up of late after a few months of working correctly.

Impossible to get them on the phone!
Only way around this is to set the phone to speaker and get on with something else within earshot of the phone for the 20-30 minutes you will be waiting!

To the OP, if its a zyxel issue you can also email their support.

It seems to be happening less frequently this evening so I'm begginning to think that it is not a physical problem any more. It is probably BT judging by the fact that others here have similar problems. I got 3 huors tonight without it going down, while this morning it was happengin every 5 minutes.

Not that BT would ever admit to it being their fault, that is, if you could ever get to talk to someone!

I have never been online more than 20 minutes at a time once I switched to BT/ Blamed the zxyel router but still happens with the eircom router attached! With Eircom I never had this problem except once every month or so.Sorry I moved!

I just realised that the problem is kind of software related. Basically the problem only occurs when I use p2p software or bottorrent. It has something to do with the amount of NAT addresses the router can hold.

I'm having a problem with my router. It is a zyxel p-600 series router which I use with my bt connecton.
It was working fine for the past 3 months. however now it seems to "shutdown" about once every 5 minutes and restart. i have to reconnect then in order to be able to use it again. The power LED on the router flashes off for about a second and as does the #LED for DSL. IT then behaves as though it is being restarted.
Does anyone have any idea why this might happen. I haven't tried contacting BT yet as I know that will send my blood pressure through the roof so I was hoping someone here might have an idea where I should look to see what's going on.

[broken link removed]

troubleshooting on modems, it seems as though you router is ''timing out''.
you need to set it to ''always on'' look at the 5th option from the top.

I hope you don't need to login:(

Back