Router for playstation 3

Treefrog2108

hi. I have an internet connection for my pc.I am looking into getting a router to send the signal upstairs to the playstation by way of infrared or whatever way that works,wirelessly basicly.

i was wondering if anyone uses this method and does it work well with the playstation 3? Im not reall familair with the technology.

appreciate any tips.

The PS3 is very fussy with regards to online gaming via routers. I think the general feeling is to get any version of a Netgear router, regardless of model. Some of the PS3 games look to get Nat Type 2 as being the optimum, where as some cheap routers like the eircom version can only get Nat 3 or Nat 1. I,m sure others on here hopefully agree. Just be carefuly as well with the two types of modem regarding cable or dsl, netgear will do routers for both type of phone line.

when I got home today my brother who asked me to look into this took maters into his own hands and bought a netgear router, doh! I can see from the box it is the lowest speed and its actually marked not suitable for gaming,although the sales guy told him it was the right one,Ill have to bring it back.
thanks again for the info.this isnt a straighforward setup.

Not sure what type of advice you are getting but ... the PS3 is wireless, using wireless standard 802.11b/g - ie 56mbps - so I would imagine pretty much every wireless router will support that as its out for years and if anyone is selling anything slower I would be surprised. The newer 802.11n does speeds much faster but would again imagine those routers are backwardly compatible with 802.11b/g

The PS3 also has a physical ethernet connection so you would get upto 100 meg assuing is a 10/100 card they may have gig cards so even faster ....either way this is pointless as you want to use wireless.

As for the PS3 being fussy as to the router types, again this is incorrect as its just going to make a network connection, for you over wireless. Connect to your SSID, put in your encryption key, set a static ip for your PS3 as you will want that to configure NAT

Now as for "cheap routers like the eircom version" I currently have an eircom netopia that and have it configured to have the NAT set to open, or Nat type 1 - The worst for games is NAT 3 (most restricted), best being NAT 1 where you can play against anyone playing with any other NAT setting, NAT 2 is the intermediate

You configure the router to open up ports to get the different NAT types, recent Medal Of Honor gave a list of ports in the manual that it needed in the NAT settings which I believe are pretty standard with most games now. I already have them set since COD MW2 and they worked fine for MOH and work fine with COD Black Ops

As for the PS3 being fussy as to the router types, again this is incorrect.
That's what I thought too - before one frustrating afternoon spent manually inserting DNS IPs, restarting devices, trying encryption off, different encryptions etc..

If you do a search for "PS3 DNS error" you'll see many unhappy punters. (Unhelpfully the error seems to be a default message and nothing directly to do with DNS.)
Might be worth ensuring the router you buy is on MS's xbox compatiblility list as Sony don't seem to have a list like this.

http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages...ng/network-hardware-compatible-xbox-live.aspx

ok thanks for the advice. I think i have to contact eircom anyway and either change from them or get them to increase my broadband speed cause it sucks for browsing.I connected the ps3 direclty to my eircom modem to see if it was fast enough for gaming.and though i could browse the internet and get to a game lobby as soon as the game starts my screen would stall and freeze.I assume when i connect a router to send the signal upstairs it will lose some power anyway/

thanks again for the advice.Im slowly taking all this in,