Rough Plaster

bertson

I need to apply a rough plaster finish to the external wall of a pump house.
Does anyone know the cement to sand ratio?

There will be a creeper planted on it, so the plaster doesn't need to be smooth

Also Any tips would be great:)
Cheers
B

I would have suggested 1: 6 but either will do. It's important not to use a rich mix anyway as strong (rich) mixes tend to crack and craze.

It's hard to give definitive guidelines on water ratios, depends on how dry or damp the sand already is. It takes a little experience to judge the when the mix is just right; for the first mix go easy on water, you can always add more if required. A plasticiser would be a good idea too- washing up liquid is not the same as a proper plasticiser, except for very small jobs. As for other dos and donts:

Don't overwork or over trowel the render- this brings fines to the surface, creates a "laitence" and your render may craze.

Use a good sharp sand for plastering work- soft sands have a lot of fines and are for brick/ blocklaying only.

Always work from a wet edge back, left to right- this preserves the life of your steel trowel. I presume you'll be using a plastic float to rub up the surface on completion. Keep the background damp to reduce suction and prevent drying out- especially with the current weather.

Back