rotovator

Drew

I'm about to tackle a very neglected garden and the lawn will have to be re-dug and levelled.
Does anyone know how difficult this is with a rotovator?
They're expensive enough to hire and I don't want to waste my time and money and then have to pay someone to do it in the end anyway.
I'm not afraid of a bit of hard work, but it's a 55-foot garden.

A rotovator won't work very well if the ground is covered in heavy weed growth- in particular scutch grass. Ideally the weeds should be sprayed with weed killer and allowed to die back before you attempt to use a rotovator- otherwise the machine just gets fouled up with grass and weed.

I found using a rotavator to be a nightmare. They are very hard to manouvre and will jam up pretty quickly if the area is covered in Long Grass or weed and also if the soil is extremley hard or contains a lot of rocks.
We moved into a new House a couple of years ago with a large Garden (80ft long x 20ft) and the first thing I decided to do as it was approaching summer was to get the garden sorted. Spent over a week with a rotavator trying to turn the soil that was rock hard, ended up with a huge amount of blisters on both hands and slightly deaf in one ear and then the missus ends up getting landscapers in!!!!! I was a little annoyed....

Thanks for that. Sounds unpleasant! How much do you reckon landscapers would charge, just for the lawn?

The Guys we used charged by the day...They Rotavated put in quite a bit of top soil and laid the whole thing in lawn (Seeded). Took them 3.5 days and cost me €800.00 I tought it was a good deal.

A&M Landscaping in Malahide...Call Mark 086 358 8502