ROS form 11 artists exemption and foreign income

tpower

so I am an artist (sole trader) living in Dublin and i have the artists exemption for 2012. during that year i did a illustration job for a company based in California. this job was done from home, and i email them the final work, for payment (13,000euros) they transferred money into my bank account.

So my question is do i need to put this money in the foreign income section of the form and if so where. also will i get my artist exemption on this income or is it taxable. the company in the states told me i haven't paid tax on their side and i remember they did have me fill out a w8ben.

For the other money i made during the year (6000euro) do i only enter this under the artists exemption section of the form and leave the assessable profit as 0 in the profit assessable in 2012.

Thanks for any help.

For the other money i made during the year (6000euro) do i only enter this under the artists exemption section of the form and leave the assessable profit as 0 in the profit assessable in 2012.

It seems to me that all the income for which you are claiming exemption should go into the artists' exemption section of the form.

There is a space at the front for expressions of doubt. You can put it in the artists' exemption bit and put in a note that the income came from overseas.

I don't think that there is any condition in the artists' exemption for the sale of work to overseas clients. And so the income should not be shown as overseas income.

You should verify this for yourself though with one of the following:

• the Revenue
  • an accountant with experience of artists' income ( e.g.

Gaby Smyth & Co
    92 Merrion Road
    Ballsbridge
    Dublin 4
    Phone: 01 6688299
    Email: gaby@gsco.ie)
  • a professional body such as Visual Artists' Irleand
Brendan

thanks so much for the reply Brendan. ive contacted both revenue and Visual Artists' Ireland about it and it seems i cannot get exemption on it, not because its overseas but because of the nature of the work. I was also told that it should be place in self employed income not foreign.

thanks for the heads up T mcGibley, seems the work isn't submittable under that catagory anyway, though i do have a cert.

i have 2 other questions.
1. the overseas money was only transfered to me in feburary 2013 even though i invoiced them in 2012. am i correct in using this in my 2012 cashbook for 2012 tax year?
2. for my peliminary tax for 2013, so far i don't have any income that doesn't fall under artist exemption, so my projected total taxs for 2013 will be less. if i opt to pay 90% of 2013 insted of 100% of 2012 how do i go about calculating this or am i better off paying the extra and waiting for a refund?

thanks again for your time.