Room thermostats

brokeagain

Can room thermostats be installed at any time?

I want to improve the energy efficiency of our house and room thermostats are a way to do this. Is it a big job to get them installed? I have oil heating.

There are currently 2 thermostats in the hous, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I think these are different to room thermostats though.

any advice appreciated.

Are you talking about pre-set radiator valves with thermostats?
I think they can be installed on the supply side of any rad.
I'm not sure they can be tied in to the zone thermostats -

1. downstairs
2. upstairs

There are modern energy management systems with room thermotats that tie everything together.
They are expensive and I don't think that the stand-alone rad thermostats noted above are compatible.
I know there are posters who seem very competent in this area so I'll leave it to them to advise you further

ONQ

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

You need to explain further. Are they wall mounted thermostats with an adjustable dial. If so, does the boiler cut out when both of these are turned down?

I am not too sure myself to be honest. I am trying to keep energy costs low. Do the thermostats cut the radiator off when the heat gets to the set temperature?

Apologies, I misread your original post!!

You can retrofit Thermostatic Radiator Valves to any radiator any time as long as there is not a room thermostat already installed in that room. TRV's cannot achieve boiler interlock and they cannot turn off the boiler when the rooms are at the desired temperature.

You can also wire a wall mounted room thermostat can can be wired to the swtiched live from the timeclock to the boiler or better still through a motorized zone valve. This will then turn off the boiler when the desired temperature has been reached, thus saving energy and fuel.

Further information is available here: [broken link removed]