roofrack or towbar

ronnie b

my neighbour (lets just call him Mr ive no computer so can u go on the net 4me) was looking for a roofrack for a 02 transit and or a toe bar. any advise or costs would be appreciated. also would his insurance increase if he went for a toe bar. rb

Don't know about insurance but you need a licence to tow a trailer.

my neighbour (lets just call him Mr ive no computer so can u go on the net 4me) was looking for a roofrack for a 02 transit and or a toe bar. any advise or costs would be appreciated. also would his insurance increase if he went for a toe bar. rb

Allianz have told met there is no extra cost if you have a tow bar on a comprehensive private car policy, but while towing you are only covered third party. Maybe it's different for vans.

Only if the trailer has more than one axle, otherwise the standard car licence covers it.

Are you sure about that? I thought there was something about gross weight but I thought this was around which category rather that need or not needing an appendix to a category for a trailer.

If he does decide to get a trailer, Ifor Williams has a brilliant reputation among builders and farmers. Just check any building site or mart. I have one and it's built like a tank, light as a feather.

They're fairly expensive new, but there are plenty 2nd hand available. Make sure the braking system and lights work before handing over any Euro.

We rented a roofrack and box for a trip from Dublin to Cork and it was great, although it whistled when you hit about 70km/hour, still it was very handy. Anyway if yer mate is only using it seldom, renting might be an option.

Back