roof slate damaged car

johnnyg

I was wondering if i have any come back against my house insurance, a roof cap tile landed on my car today from our house, smashing the windscreen plus the bonnet and side/door. I rang the house insurance company and was told that i wasn't covered for the car damage only the repairs to the house....has anyone come across this, the house is only 1.5 years old

Oh JohnnyG you are resurrecting bad memories for me! Believe it or not, the exact same thing happened to me a few years back.

It was also a new house and I was renting it out. Obviously with tenants, I took out comprehensive insurance and everything else that went with it.

When I spoke to my insurance company the day after the slate went through my tenants windscreen, they assured me that I would be fully compensated and advised me to get the windoscreen fixed and send them on the bill. Needless to say, I duly did as advised.

However, my claim was returned unpaid stating that the "Supervisor" felt that I wasn't covered.

I must have made 30 phonecalls to the company regarding this opinion that the supervisor had and sometimes the agent would say I was insured and other times they would argue that I wasn't. It was SOOOOOO frustrating. Needless to say, my mental health was worth more to me at the time than 350 pounds so, I gave in after a hard fought battle.

I left the company. Can I name them here??

you would be covered if it came off and hit a neighbours car as you are covered for third party damage but not your own. This is the case with all house policies as far as I am aware.
You can claim from your car policy if you have fully comprehensive cover. If you check your policy booklet you will see it excludes damage to cars (except a third party).