Roof Repair Quotation

Tralee

Roof Repair
Hiya. I just got a quote from a roofing firm in Tralee for nearly €7000 to fix a leak in my roof that is going into my bathroom. The area in question is only
4 feet by 9 feet. The area is on the ground floor so no scaffolding required — barely a ladder. It is a flat felt roof. Is this excessive or have labour and materials gone up that much in the last four years? I got my entire roof on my bungalow done for less than €10,000 about four years ago. I am a pensioner and know nothing of these things and do believe in paying a fair price for work though. I would appreciate any feedback.

From what you've written it seems extremely excessive, but we don't know what's involved from what's written on your post. It would be great if some kind and friendly builder from your town saw this and called into you to gave you an idea of what's involved.

4 feet by 9 feet ... for €7,000? I think you're being seen as a soft target.

I'd approach a handyman .. get recommendations from neighbours, friends etc.

At the end of the day, you can only decide when you get more quotes for repair.

Is that from a main well known company or just some random guys that go around fixing roofs?

You could tear off the old roof, replace rafters, skip hire the rubbish away, add insulation and then refelt for way less than that so yes you are being taken here, it is only 3.8 square metres.

Thank you all for your feedback.. The quote was from a building firm and not just some random guy so that is why I am a bit puzzled as to why it is so high. I know I need to get another quote. It is a challenge though as it is a small job and it seems builders, as it was during the boom, are busy and are slow to come out. I appreciate your comments.

as it was during the boom, are busy and are slow to come out. I appreciate your comments.

so they'll pick a high number to make it worth their while .. and if you bite, it's money for jam.

Surely, there's a handyman in Tralee capable of doing your small job for a reasonable price?

Ask around.... €7,000 seems totally extortionate to me.

@Tralee I had some refelting done on a flat roof in the last few weeks. Its an area around 3m x 3m (so 9ft x 9ft). They had to take up the existing felt and redo the section as the wind had blown it free.
I got 4 quotes - ranged from 2k to 700 euro + VAT. Give or take the same job was proposed by all 4.
The job took 4 hours to do in total, although one of the lads seemed to spend half his time on the phone. I did inspect the work afterwards and it did seem decent enough. This was Dublin though

But 7k sounds like a lot if all they are doing is refelting a roof !

It sounds gnf,ireland that your job is similar to what I need. It is fair to say that your guys would not be willing to travel from Dublin to Kerry. It is difficult to get anyone to even look at the job as when they find out how small it is they aren't interested. Or maybe there is a shortage of builders in Kerry. It certainly isn't because I havent been trying. I am a single female OAP and feel completely out of my depth when it comes to construction stuff. So thank you all for your comments.

@Tralee - regrettably, its not unusual for a certain type of person to chance their arm when quoting for a home owner whom they believe to be a 'soft touch'.

Ask for a breakdown of the quotes you are given to include a list of materials and estimated labour hours.

That will give you a good clue as to whether or not you are being overcharged.

Last edited:
We had a leak in the bedroom which was seeping into the wall so had to get it repaired- I got a quote from a guy on FB who had got good reviews and told me there was a hole in the roof and because of the shape of the roof he would need a 2nd guy and a cherry picker to fix a few tiles and ridge tile.in the end it was repaired by a qualified carpenter for €300 in less than 2 hrs. Shop around

Try Trademen.ie . You will should be able to get 4 quotes from local tradesmen. Include carpenters as per last poster. Good luck in getting it resolved.

Well lets hope he has it repaired by now, there has been a good few wet days in The Kingdom since mid feb.

Just as an FYI but any roofer I knew back in the day were carpenters by trade as it's a branch of that trade. Of course nowadays most are Tin Roofers unfortunately.

Just as an FYI but any roofer I knew back in the day were carpenters by trade as it's a branch of that trade. Of course nowadays most are Tin Roofers unfortunately.
What is a tin roofer? I’m trying to get my garage flat roof redone. It’s leaking in the corner. It was done 8 years ago. I’m trying to educate myself here on roofing

I have a shed with a corrugated metal roof. It's about 15 years old now, and it began leaking in January. In February I got a roofer to come in and he effectively built a flat felt roof on top of the steel one (laid ply down on top of it, covered with 2 layers of felt, etc.). The shed roof is about 12 x 25ft.

The total, all in cost, was €4,500.

(I'm in Drogheda by the way).

I have a shed with a corrugated metal roof. It's about 15 years old now, and it began leaking in January. In February I got a roofer to come in and he effectively built a flat felt roof on top of the steel one (laid ply down on top of it, covered with 2 layers of felt, etc.). The shed roof is about 12 x 25ft.

The total, all in cost, was €4,500.

(I'm in Drogheda by the way).
He was well paid.

He was well paid.
Seems to be the going rate. I got two quotes and I'm familiar with his work/pricing as he did roofs for two other people I know in the last 18months and did an extension roof for me about 4 years ago.

7K for what he OP is looking at is mental.

Back