roof pitch question

L

lacken

Evening everyone,

I have a question which I hope someone can answer.
We have received planning permission for a house in which we have started to build currently at wall plate level. However the roof pitch is set at 35 degrees. Ideally we would like this to be 45 degress so we can convert later if we wish. Should we approach the council again or just build it with 45 degrees pitch and apply later for retention. Anyone know the possible reprocussions of this. Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Thread moved - this is a Homes and Garden and not a Mortgages and Home Buying query.

I would be very careful because the height difference may be unacceptable to the planning authority and you may be asked to lower the building back to the original height permitted. That happened to two houses I know of and it delayed them months. Saying that your engineer could advise you on the height difference and may suggest if it is acceptable. We changed our plans with the tf company and it resulted in the house being 2ft higher. We didn't have to apply for retention as it was acceptable. At the end of the day it is your engineer who has to sign off on the house to ensure it has complied with planning so he is definately the one to ask.

The very least you should do is discuss this with your architect/agent. You are looking at all sorts of problems either in the short term or in the long term if ever you go to sell or remortgage.

My advice would be to lodge a planning application for amendments to previously approved dwelling to include increase in roof pitch/height and if necessary include dormer/gable windows and rooflights