Roof Flue

J

JakD

Still working on options to install a boiler stove....

if I run a twin wall flue up inside my dormer house, where it goes through the roof, does this have to go higher than the apex of the roof??

I may have an option of coming out through the roof aprox 4ft up from the gutter, aprox 10 ft lower than the apex of the roof. Was planning on only having aprox 1ft external flue there. This is to the rear of my house where the main wind flow is.

onq has posted the chapter and verse below.
I have always found the wording and diagrams in the TGD a bit ambiguous for the case where the chimney is on a standard A roof which has a slope >10 degrees and the flue exits the roof more than 60 cm from the ridge.

For this reason I always build the chimneys to at least ridge level and usually go the extra 60 cm above the ridge.

I live in an estate of 1968 built dormer bungalows each of which has at least one chimney which exits at gutter level and goes to ridge level which is 3.6m above gutter. This is more than what I think the TGD calls for

A twin wall flue on a dormer will look, at best, brutal.

You can build a proper chimney for less mula

Last edited:
Please refer to -

Technical Guidance Document for the Building Regulations

Part J Heat Producing Appliances,

Section 2

- Page 5 Paragraph 2.4

- Page 6 and Diagram 1.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1650,en.pdf

ONQ

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand

Back