Roof advice

philipb

Hi... A survey on our house recommends a few jobs are done on the roof. They are as follows: roof purlins to be supported in accordance with good practise (slight dip in the hipped rafter); small crack to be sealed in chimney stack; remove moss build up from tiles; seal leaking joints to gutters. Can anyone advise on what prices these jobs might entail... and can anyone recommend a reasonable Dublin roofer to do them???
Thanks.

None of those sound to me like they're particularly urgent jobs, apart maybe from sealing the crack in the chimney - then again, I'm completely clueless about roofing!

My husband is a roofer, he said that a dipped rafter is practically impossible to straighten - it should be supported by a prop in the attic off a solid wall. Crack in the chimney can be fixed with silicone - if you use sand and cement it ll probably crack again. Moss on the tiles can just scraped off. The gutters again need to be siliconed. He said its a few days work (depends on whether a detatched, semi-d or terrace house) and in terms of price, cant say without seeing but less than two grand at the most.

Back