Ronaldo pays penalty

Liamos

Anyone else find it very amusing to see Ronaldo, all set to take the glory by taking the 5th penalty for Portugal last night, see his plan backfire!

He really does have a very high opinion of himself.

Strange one alright.
You would expect a team to put their strongest penalty takers up first to try get the scores up early.
I think he is actually Portugal's penalty taker.

As the guys on RTE said, the most important thing in a penalty shootout is to get points on the board.

Ronaldo put his ego above the interests of his team.

Cesc Fabregas opted to take #5 cos he believed it would be decisive. Today he's a hero. Why is Ronaldo judged to a different standard ?

Why did both teams send down defenders to take penalties ahead of attacking players ? Where were Navas & Busquets when Ramos & Piqué were stepping forward ?

Anyone else find it very amusing to see Ronaldo, all set to take the glory by taking the 5th penalty for Portugal last night, see his plan backfire!

He really does have a very high opinion of himself.

Whereas it reflects well on Messi that he is so modest & attributes much of his success to his team mates Ronaldo is a different matter - however he correctly has a high opinion of himself - he is a wonderful player with a massive ego which unfortunately makes him difficult to like despite his undoubted world class talent.

I don't find any reason to doubt his assertion that his manager stated the order of players to take penalties

Whereas it reflects well on Messi that he is so modest & attributes much of his success to his team mates Ronaldo is a different matter - however he correctly has a high opinion of himself - he is a wonderful player with a massive ego which unfortunately makes him difficult to like despite his undoubted world class talent.

I don't find any reason to doubt his assertion that his manager stated the order of players to take penalties

I agree he is a wonderful player with a massive ego. I like some of what he does and dislike other things about him.

I dont know who organised the order of the players for the penalty shootout, but my suspicion is that with his 'massive ego' it was Ronaldo.

It's ever the way with Ronaldo - love him or hate him, people talk about him. Personally I believe that the coach made the call to put him fifth - hell if Ronaldo had his way he'd take all 5 penalties!! But I don't think it was fair they way Dunphy said he bottled it - the last penalty, if it got that far, would have been the biggest pressure of all, so there was no way he was copping out by being last. Sure Ronaldo has a massive ego, but so does Pele, so does Maradona, so what! He's a fantastic footballer and that's all that really matters.

however he correctly has a high opinion of himself - he is a wonderful player with a massive ego which unfortunately makes him difficult to like ..

After the QF against the Czech Republic, he said something along the lines "it was important that I scored .. ". My first reaction was "Wow, how arrogant is THAT". On reflection I decided he was dead right. It was inportant for Portugal that Ronaldo score, cos he if he can't provide goals, there's no-one else on the team that could be relied upon.

When Varela scored against Denmark, he was swamped by 9 of the other 10 outfield players. Guess who was the one ;) ? It's behaviour like that that has most people hoping for the worst for any team Ronaldo plays for.

I would have expected it to go down to sudden death because all of the players on show are technically good. I would have a big ego if I was on his level in the sport, but he does his job for his team, and his job last night was to take the 5th penalty, it didn't come to pass.

Is it going to be a bail out final Germany V Spain or Italy V Spain

What do people reckon, I think tonights match could also end in penalties!!!

Basically Ronaldo cant do everything, Portugal are fairly limited apart from him. He knows this, they know this and I know this.
If he went first he'd be castigated for taking the easy option with "no pressure", if he goes last he's only interested in the glory and in the end the manager probably gave the order anyway so its a moot point. He's just too easy to hate is the problem.

Basically Ronaldo cant do everything, Portugal are fairly limited apart from him. He knows this, they know this and I know this.
If he went first he'd be castigated for taking the easy option with "no pressure", if he goes last he's only interested in the glory and in the end the manager probably gave the order anyway so its a moot point. He's just too easy to hate is the problem.

1st penalty is definately not the easiest. In general it's a teams best dead ball kicker that takes a teams first penalty. Great for moral to get a score on the board. Gerard took England's, Alonso took Spain's, Balotelli took Italy's for example.No doubt he is a great player but considering he took every free kick they had in the opposition box, one would have expected their best dead ball kicker and leader to set them on their way. But hindsight is a great thing....

Poor Ronaldo, an overpaid well hirsuited so-called sportsman, cost €80million - the look on his face on not being able to participate in the shootout, Priceless.

However, whether or which he laughs all the way to the bank.

Think Italy were 14/1 at the start.
They were definitely underestimated.
Pirlo is having a great tourament.

Back