Rome

DEBBIEC

going to rome for weekend in 3 weeks been told its not really a dress up place do i bring casual only or what? also what kinda weather do i expect this time of year

By Irish standards, it will still be quite warm in Rome. Jeans and a tshirt should be all you need in the day time. I've been there twice in late October and even wore shorts. As for level of dressing up - I suppose it depends on what evening activities you are doing. If you'll just be eating dinner and going to bars in the evening, the same sort of clothes you'd wear in Ireland are fine. I would dress up a little more if I was doing, say, the opera or fancy musical recitals.

Oh and if you do wear shorts, be prepared for strange looks from stylishly autumnly dressed Italians in jackets and scarves!

If you intend to visit the Vatican, then for men, trousers to the ankles are expected and for the ladies, either trousers/skirt to the knees and shoulders covered for everyone. And before anyone starts a debate....When in Rome...etc. oh of course,, the Vatican isn't part of Rome but you get my drift.

We stayed in Hotel Colosseum last year, it was a short stroll from the Colosseum, metro station, Eur 8 in taxi from central station by day (E25 by night - ripped off at 2 am after getting off the Ryanair transfer bus) and has reasonably priced restaurants nearby. Eat slighty off the main throughfares and you won't pay any more than you pay here, maybe even a little less.

When in Vatican square take up an offer of a guided tour - approx E 25 you'll be wasting your time trying to navigate the place without it, look out for a tall 40ish Irish guy with glasses called Michael, from Ennis, he has studied there for years and was fantastic.

You can check wunderground.com for weather histories for clothing but the absolute essential is two really comfy pairs of shoes and I doubt you'll be able for heels as the legs will be walked off you.

We had torrential rain in Sept so the 2 pairs are essential if one gets wet during the day. Everyone else is the in the same boat so dress code is casual. Bring nice tops to wear over a pair of jeans for night time.

There are a couple of Irish pubs within a stroll of our hotel with perfect Guinness - my hubbie was delighted with a decent night cap after a nice meal and a tough day's sightseeing!

You'll have a ball - enjoy.

Back