Rome

W

wiredup

We are heading to Rome with another couple - any suggestions on where to eat (mid to exp price range)- we are staying in the cetre of Rome and wouldn't mind a small commute - do most restauants close on a Sunday?

I went a few years ago and we went to the Hard Rock Cafe which i really enjoyed as it was lovely decor and really cosy especially as we went in January their is a bar at the back of it which you can sit have your cocktails after your dinner.

One tip i would recommend is visiting the colloseum at night especially if you have a video camera and to go up the Roman forum which is lovely. We got it on video camera at night and then went to visit colloseum the next morning and continued filming it was lovely.

Rome is full of places to eat. Just walk around and you'll find loads of open-air places, or others with menus outside. Most are pretty good. IMHO you can't beat the authentic Italian food but you'll find McDonalds there too, same as everywhere else. Also, I've never found problems with finding a place open on a Sunday.

Wired - just back yesterday. Plenty of places to eat I was advised to go to an area called Travastare for eating. To be honest I was abit disappointed with the area but did find a few nice restos after some looking.

There is a metro in Rome but it is Luas like in terms of covering the city ie. limited. Eating out was very reasonable - relative to Dublin. I found taxis very reasonable (make sure they are official ones).

If there are a few of you it might be cheaper to get picked up at the airport - I paid €35 for 3 of use to get picked up and the travel time was 40 minutes but at least it was right to the hotel.

If you are going to the Sistene Chapel make sure you go early - think last entry is around 1pm but there were HUGE queues even early in the morning. I believe the Joe Duffy show last week was full of people being mugged in Rome - personnally I would feel safer there - loads of cops all over the place.

Trevi fountain is a must and is colussieum and St Peters basilica (well worth a trip up to the Dome).

If you want to treat the Mrs there's a few very nice restos on Via Veneta or maybe more suitable for the girlfriend :) the Hard Rock is near there but you could break the bank and bring her / them to Harry's Bar.

Enjoy

Roy

I'm a regular visitor to Rome and have had no problems with mugging etc...touch wood. Having said that I am careful wherever I go that I am not dripping in jewellery with a camera the size of a suitcase around my neck and a map in my hand! My sister has lived there for almost 12 years very happily. Of course, in touristy areas be careful of pickpockets. There are some pickpockets who are instantly recognisable - brightly dressed in flouncy skirts, tops, head scarves, babies in body carriers, and most of the girls hardly in their teens, If you see a group of these approaching you, hold onto your possessions with a VERY tight grasp as they try to confound you with their numbers. When i see them approach, i just move out of the way and let them pass me by.

Back