Rome in January

fobs

Have just booked Tome for 4 night from the 2nd-7th of January. We booked this hotel on recommendations from friends

http://www.hotelmellini.com/

Have read the other posts on rome but would like to get some first-hand knowledge of anyone who has been to Rome at this time of the year.
Any tips or info greatly appreciated!

I went 2 years ago in January when aer lingus did cheap flights, if you are flying in with aer lingus you can get the train straight to termini station which is the main station. Their metro is not as complex

I went 2 years ago in January when aer lingus did cheap flights, if you are flying in with aer lingus you can get the train straight to termini station which is the main station. Their metro is not as complex as paris or Barcelona as there is only 2 lines. We went to see the collosseum at night it was lovely and the Roman Forum. They are both lovely to see during the day aswell. We went to the Hard Rock Cafe one night which do lovely food and the atmosphere is good and it was cosy especially as we where there in January. You will catch the sales in the shops also leather handbags and coats. Enjoy

Rome is good any time of year, but bloody cold in January. Bring your winter woollies.

Did any of you buy a guidebook for when you will be there with maps and if you did was it worthwhile to do so?

We got the lonely planet guide to Rome before we travelled last month.

[broken link removed]&

Packed with loads of info and maps.

Your hotel gets [broken link removed].

We were in Rome in January 2yrs ago. The Romans were all dressed up in their fur coats and boots, we were in tee shirts! The nights were much cooler but we found fleeces were sufficient. It was beautiful, sunshine and blue skies every day..

We flew Aer Lingus and got the train from the airport into the Termini. Our hotel was close by and was an ideal spot for touring the city.

The Vatican city is glorious in January. We visited the area late at night when it was quiet. The crib was still up and was beautiful. The crisp clear night air led to the magic of the place.

We went back during the day and the "star" tip we were given was to take along a good size pocket mirror for when you visit the Sinstine Chapel. As you walk along the corridors if you hold the mirror on your palm held in front of you it gives you a fantastic view of the ceilings above without having to strain your neck by constantly looking upwards. It worked an absolute treat.

We bought a guide book before we went and read up on Rome before our visit. We walked and walked and walked for four days and still did not see it all. Guide book was invaluable.

Another tip, if you are on a budget and want a coffee, make sure to have it inside the cafe standing at the bar. It's the cheapest cup you will get. Having it outside raises the price. If budget is not a concern, sit outside and watch the world go by. It's great.

It is a fantastic place to visit. Hope you have a great time.

I would recommend bringing very comfortable runners as I have never walked as much in one weekend. When visiting the colleseum do the English speaking tour, it costs an extra Eur 8 but it is well worth it as the guide tells you all about the history rather than walking around aimlessly and u get an additional tour of the roman forum afterwards - that should be enough history for one day. The guides will approach you when queuing at the ticket office - if not, ask someone. I would also recommend a trip to Trastevere - this is where the Romans hang out and the prices are better down here. There are a few good pubs down here also