Rome in February

A

Ash

I'm researching a city break in Rome. I've taken a look at the section in Key Posts which was helpful but I'm looking for a little extra.

I'm thinking about going in mid-February ish. Has anyone been there at that time. I assume it is quieter but is the weather ok?

I plan to get flights and hotels seperately.
Is AerLingus the only airline to fly to Rome? Is there reasonably priced public transport from the airports?

What area of the city would be a good place to find accomodation?

Any information would be great.
Thanks everyone.

airport confusion

Great information Sueellen. Thanks.

Forgive me if I'm a bit confused but does Rome have one or two international airports? Does this signify one or two or are they the same place?
Fiumicino/Leonardo da Vinci (FCO)

Re: airport confusion

Rome has one main International Airport ... Called Leonardo da Vinci / Fiumicino (I think it's named after LdV but the place it is in is called Fiumicino ?) .. The Airport code is FCO - this airport is used by almost all airlines flying to Rome - it's around 20k South West of the city and has an okay train service into town

Aer Lingus and Alitalia both have pretty much daily flights between Rome FCO and Dublin ... Aer Lingus will be fairly chaep but Alitalia can be very cheap too (just watch they don't go bankrupt!)

The other airport is Ciampino (airport code CIA) - Ryanair and Easyjet fly from London and other places (not dublin)... it's (unusually for Ryanair :lol ) closer to the city centre - but it's small, old and doens't have a train service. (It was the old Airport 20+ years ago before Fiumicino was built)

feb

Feb is probably actually a good time to visit. Might need a light coat in case of showers or a slight chill (but it will be alot warmer than here!).
Alot of Rome is best seen on foot, which is tough going in the heat of July and August when most tourists are around.

EvilDoctorK is correct about the airports. I think Ciampino might be a military or ex military airport but it's used for charters now, Leonardo da Vinci / Fiumicino is the main airport.

Back