Rome - good hotels or apartments?

Sophia2457

Hi

We've just booked a flight to Rome for a week from 1st - 8th January 2007. Got it for €315 total Aer Lingus so not bad! Now I'm trying to fins a decent place to stay and as I've never been to Rome before I have no clue as to the best areas (central yet quiet at night, and within walking distance of the main sites). Seem like near the Spanish Steps or Trevi Fountain is very expensive, and Trastavere noisy at night, Pantheon and near the Colosseum seemed ok, from reviews I've read.

Basically we want a 3-4 star with rooms that aren't shoebox size with good service, or a decent apartment in a properly managed apartment block.

I know it's a tall order and I'm mithered by the sheer number of hotels out there, and the prices! I've looked at lots on tripadvisor but I can't make a decision. An apartment would be great but some of those private rentals look dodgy and you've little comeback. Some of the hotel booking sites offer the same room (it appears) for much less than the hotel itself, does this mean you get an inferioir room?

Any experiences/recommendations would be very, very welcome.

There's a great one called the Hotel Universo - pretty close to the main train station. They have a website and you can book directly (just google it) Really recommend it. V Stylish hotel.
Another v good one is Hotel Forum although this is pretty expensive. Maybe limit yourself to a meal on their roof terrace overlooking the collosseum at night. Quite impressive!

Thanks, Fly

Someone I know stayed at the Universo but said it was very busy at check-in as a lot of tours stay there. Did you find that?
I got a quote for the Forum (good reviews) and all I can say is...huge overdraft!!!

Would it be warm enough in January to eat outdoors?

I stayed in a 3 bed apartment on Via Grigorio V11 in July, absolutely beautiful, charming with a lovely balcony, just walking distance from St.Peters, I did a good bit of research on the net before going, and found [broken link removed] seemed to have the best prices and locations, enjoy !

Back