Rome for New Years

Jason_77

Hi All,

Does anyone know what Rome is like around New Year's?
Thinking of heading over on Dec 28th and back on Jan 1st.

What is the atmosphere like around that period?

Any other cities people would recommend for the same time period?

Cheers,

Jason.

Edinburgh is very good around that time of the year.
But it does be packed, they have there own new years celebrations called Hogmannay (sp). I went last year, and thought it was brilliant.

We werent there at New Years but we found our Roman Holiday one of the biggest disappointments.

The food wasnt anything special, hospitality poor at best, the people unfriendly and short.

We both promised getting on the plane never to return. I was very close to retriving my coin from that fountain.

New years, I dont know...

BM

Went to Rome about five years ago for New Years. It is a really busy time of year so finding a decent hotel wasn't easy. The weather wasn't great - bit warmer than here but also very wet. Most Romans head towards Plazza del Popolo for midnight. It was a bit scary as there are so many people but there was no trouble. There is also a very good atmosphere around the Spanish steps at midnight. The Italians like to party well into the night on New Year's Eve. Can be difficult to get a restaurant that night too. It was good but not something I would do again or really recommend.

Back