Rome, any good tips

annfield

Hi all

Heading off to a wedding in Rome this weekend, and just wondering has anyone any tips of what to do or see away from the tourist traps? Restaurants bars, attractions etc. We are staying not far from the colleseum

Thanks

Avoid eating around the likes of Piazza Navona. It's a real touristy area and the restaurants are really expensive. We had a fairly simple meal (pasta main courses, anti-pasta misto starters, 2 bottles of wine, no dessert) and it came to €170 for 3 people. Following night we ate in Il Duca in the Trastevere area and got a fab meal for 3 - starters, mains, desserts, 2 bottles of wine & 2 beers - for €65. Much better meal. Trastevere is definitely the place to go to eat.

As for ice-cream, you should take a trip to Palazzo del Freddo Giovanni Fassi west of the main train station on Via Principe Eugenio - best ice-cream shop in Rome. All the locals go there and it stays open till midnight - make sure to go there hungry!!

....as for attractions, you'll see a lot just wandering around, but we thought the Forum was well worth a visit. It covers a huge area so be prepared to walk.

If you have a head for heights, the trip to the top of the dome in St Peter's is great. You get a great view of the city and down into the Vatican gardens.

One thing I missed out on in Rome was the Vatican, we got there Sunday afternoon and found that it closes early on a Sunday!! So if you want to see it, go there early!!

I would recommend doing a half day bus tour of the city...you will see everything and then go back to the places you want to investigate further...If you are thinking of doing the vatican museum...go during the week...the queues can be cruel...

on a thursday afternoon i was in and out of the vatican in 1 and half hours, i would recomend the hop on & off bus, also the metro is a great way to see the sights as there are stops at the main tourist areas, not alot of night life near the coliseum as i stayed in that are myself but you can get a taxi to travesetre, your hotel can get taxis immediatley, you will love the place though

We went there last October and having been to Paris, I reckon Rome is much easier to get around. But you have to WALK as you get to see all the sites. We stayed in the Savoy Hotel, not far from the American Embassy - some nice restaurants around there. Just be careful with pickpockets near the Trevi Fountain and the STEPS area. I saw a young local, I would think, lifting a wallet from an American Tourist and taking of at an incredible speed on foot!!!! Get one of those around the neck purses for your money and cards!! I bought one years ago for America and carry it abroad always!!!!

As the other poster said be clever about the restaurants, some of them are family run and even to sit inside listening to the "arguments" between husband and wife is great fun!!!! Food is good in those joints!!!! The Vatican is definitely worth a visit and if you want to see the Sistine Chapel, be prepared for a queue, but if you get there early in the morning, you will be OK. Watch the opening hours though, they are short!!! I guarantee you, you will never see in any other European country, the amount of Police in the city - traffic corps, and other types - all over the place! Real posers and shapers!!!! And the Italians are just what you see on the TV - colourful!!! Guaranteed you have more Men's boutiques than women, just watch out how the men dress! They LOVE their clothes!! I am hoping to go back at the end of the year!!! History is all around you and if you are interested in history, as we are, the saying SEE ROME AND DIE says it all! Visit the Pantheon - a remarkable feat of engineering!!!!
Enjoy!

Go down the Catacombs for a real interesting tour , We went and it was a real treat ! scary though also go to the park where the Villa Bourgeasi is situated .There is a lovely balloon ride which rises high over rome giving you a great view of the city ,i proposed there well worth a visit !

If you pm me, I will send you on a list of recommended non-touristy restaurants and bars. These are recommended by an Irish person living in Rome for past 20 years.