Father just getting use to Net so told them not to book without checking first

Did a search here and google and got the below websites

http://www.enjoyrome.com/

http://www.romaturismo.it/v2/en/main.asp

www.tripadvisor.com

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Also the below hotel

Hotel Panda http://www.hotelpanda.it/ Anyone ever stayed here what's it like ?

They are not looking for anything to fancy just something clean and close to the amenities

Also what is the best option for them to get to city centre from the airport ?

Thanks

PS Will give them the link to this post so they can check themselves

Hi went to rome last weekend stayed at hotel alimandi vatico it was fab and great location. Its opposite the entrance to the vatican museum and a 10 minute walk to st peters (bus tours go from there). Couldn't recommend it enought, we got the train to termini then the metro to the hotel its in between two stops.

I've actually stayed in the hotel Panda. It's in a fantastic location (v. close to Spanish steps and about 10 mins from Forum/Colloseum area) and is clean, secure, etc. They don't do breakfast but there is a bakery about 2 doors down.

Hotel alimandi seems to be booked up and I cannot find an email address for them on their site

The hotel panda seems very basic but thanks

Anyone got any other recommendations ?

Depends on what their main interests are and what their budget is. April is a good time for visiting Rome as it's neither too hot nor too cold.

Getting from the airport to the city centre by train is reasonably straightforward. As you exit customs/baggage etc into the departures area turn left, making a point of ignoring those who are offering taxis. Just a few metres down, there's an escalator which you down after which you go straight for about two minutes until you come to the rail station. Frtom there it's easy to purchase a ticket to the city centre. Most of the people at the ticket desks understand english. Having bought the tickets, check which of the three platforms goes to ROME TERMINI. Make sure to validate the tickets by inserting them into any one of the many orange colured machines that can be found at the beginning of the platform. From there it's about a 25 minute journey to the city centre.

From Rome Termini, it's possible to transfer to the metro system which will take you closer to other locations such as the Spanish Steps, Vatican etc.

Within a five walk of the Termini is the excellent Starhotel Metropole. Not the cheapest, but very high quality and very handy for local shopping as well as the metro. The Starhotel group also has a sister hotel (Michelangelo) very near to the vatican although I didn't find is as pleasant as the one nearer the termini.

http://www.starhotels.com/

[broken link removed]

If not staying within walking distance of the main sites, I would advise staying at least within walking distance of the metro. The cost of taxis will swell the expense over a few days.

Thanks for that

They are looking at 3 star hotels and up. Looking for hotel that is close to sites or within walking distance

Budget is mid to expensive but not Ritz prices

Still looking and will check out the star hotel

cheers

Hi,

This is a fab hotel at very reasonable prices. Very helpful & polite staff (in Rome!!!). Fantastic buffet breakfast that they replenish, if you ask even at 9.55 a.m. Very comfortable rooms with large bathrooms and central heating not spared.

It is 2 short blocks from Termini and not worth your while getting a taxi as you would walk it in a couple of mins, literally.

When you walk out of Termini station, there is a lot of homeless people around. Whilst it is extremley sad and it bothered me that in a city so rich & holy, that there should be people so destitute, it can also put people on their gaurd. So although this hotel is lovely, the fact that it is actually so close to the station, might put some people off.

But most people wouldn't use trains late at night anyhow, in any city, and its nice to get a taxi back and watch the city go by in comfort, as you head back to your hotel.

[broken link removed]

You can also book these in advance, to plan you itinerary and know where you are going and not have the hassle when you get there.

http://www.viator.com/Rome-tours/Tours-and-Sightseeing/d511-g12

going in may for 5 days and being guided by posts on trip advisor. So far the hotel raffaelo is my choice €1105 for the 5 days, one poster says the street outside isn't the best with a few homeless people in the vicinity. bit off putting.

Grand Olympic 5 minutes walk to the Vatican 10 minutes to Castel Sant Angelo.

I didn't check April but from 7/05 to 14/05 Double room will cost 386 euro/person B&B; superior double = 457euro/person.

[broken link removed]

As I have said elsewhere on this site, my wife and I have stayed at three of the Aurum group hotels and couldn't fault them.

Note that this price does not include airfares.

Mixed reviews for Grand Olympic over on [broken link removed]

Thanks for the advice

Still looking my god it is an expensive city to stay

Sent my husbands parents to Rome for their xmas present and booked it though www.tailormadeitalia.it - an Irish girl runs it and got us a great deal for a hotel right in the city center. She even turned up to welcome them to the hotel on the day they arrived and to check everything was OK and leave her number