Romantic hotels Cairns

Deirdra

Frazzled couple seeks beach accom 3 star and above in Cairns, or 50 km up or down the coast. Thanks for suggestions. Lauren??

Cairns isnt that impressive. Id land in Cairns and shoot a little further north to Cape tribulation where rainforest meets beach

I liked the Cape Trib area a lot ... just drove through Cairns and it didn't look like somewhere I'd like to spend much time really (It certainly is the kind of place you have to pass through and a good base for transport/tours etc)

I thought Port Douglas was a bit artificial looking - I preferred the more remote feel to the Cape Tribulation area (anywhere north of the ferry you have to go over a bit after Port Douglas on the road north)

I stayed in this place [broken link removed] (their own site is I think coconutbeach.com.au but it seems to be down) ... It was pretty nice - accommodation was in nice chalet/villa type things spread down forest tracks from the central area - food wasn't amazing but it was fine

One thing about the Cape Tribulation area is that it's quite remote so you really need your own transport I think - car rental is fairly cheap and it's an easy drive up from Cairns of maybe 3 hours

This was about 4-5 years ago so my info, especially on the particular hotel, could be a bit "stale" :)

Hi Deirdra, would definitely go to Port Douglas or beyond...Stayed in Treetops Radisson two years ago....Decent 3/4 star hotel, breakfast included, friendly staff.....There are LOADS of hotels in that area though so unless it was some holiday period, there would be no problem just arriving, having a look around and choosing the one you like most! Have fun!

Back