Roman Catholic marriage in Church of Ireland Church

Green

Would anyone know whether you can have a Roman Catholic marriage in Church of Ireland Church? Thanks

What do you mean by RC marriage? Do you mean simply that either the bride or the groom is a Roman Catholic or are you referring to the nature of the ceremony?

Do you mean having a RC Priest presiding over the ceremony? I would imagine you would need a very understanding Rector.

Thanks Caveat and Sarahmc ...I mean two RC's having a RC marriage ceremony conducted by a RC priest in a COI church?

Thanks Caveat and Sarahmc ...I mean two RC's having a RC marriage ceremony conducted by a RC priest in a COI church?

I doubt if you will find a RC priest to conduct the cermony in a COI church.
Is it the church you like?

I mean two RC's having a RC marriage ceremony conducted by a RC priest in a COI church?

Are you for real? You do know that they are different religions right? Look at the hoopla caused last year when Mary McAleese took communion at a Protestant church; now think what would happen if you hold a wedding in one.

It would be like going in to AIB and asking them to get you a Bank of Ireland mortgage!

Very much doubt you can marry in a COI church. Their guidelines for marriage include ...

Once the church has been chosen the actual ceremony and the administration of the vows can, for legal reasons, only be performed by the clergy of that church according to the rites and ceremonies of that church.

One of the couple at least must be COI.

"Thanks Caveat and Sarahmc ...I mean two RC's having a RC marriage ceremony conducted by a RC priest in a COI church?"

Impossible, sorry.

"Thanks Caveat and Sarahmc ...I mean two RC's having a RC marriage ceremony conducted by a RC priest in a COI church?"

Impossible, sorry.
Actually it's not.

But the only RC church in town has to burn down first and the CoI church has to offer itself as a replacement. And even then, the preference of the RC will be to use the local GAA club instead.

Tullamore in the 'eighties.

If the RC priest and the CoI rector get on well on an ecumenical basis it might be possible, but I really doubt it without extenuating circumstances.

It seems very strict.
I remember when I was in the UK, a local church of England church would regularly run Catholic Mass, said by a Catholic priest.

As far as I'm aware, a Mass can be said anywhere. Are weddings different?

It's not the norm, but I think if there are extreme circumstances, it may be possible. But you will need a rector who will let you use their church and a priest who will conduct the cermony - a "pretty" location will generally not meet either requirments!!

I take it the "[broken link removed]" as for a proposal location....and worked?

Congrats!

Found this on [broken link removed] website:

Church Weddings in Ireland....If you wish to marry in a Roman Catholic or Church of Ireland (Anglican) church....

Church of Ireland: At least one party to the marriage must be Anglican or Episcopalian......

This might help :)

...As far as I'm aware, a Mass can be said anywhere. Are weddings different?
Yes, the marriage ceremony in either of the named Christian traditions is a separate ceremony / sacrament to either Divine Worship or Mass.

The civil ceremony or "signing of the register", the legal bit recognised by the State, a separate ceremony again, by custom and practice is officiated over by the clergyman / woman after the religious ceremonials are finished.

It seems very strict.
I remember when I was in the UK, a local church of England church would regularly run Catholic Mass, said by a Catholic priest.

But as protestantism goes, the Anglican church is much closer to Roman Catholicism than it is to the COI - this might have something to do with it.

Yes we did like the beauty of the venue but it looks like it aint gonna be a runner. thanks for all your replies.

With the rules for civil services changed now you could possibly find a beautiful (non church) venue that would meet the requirements?

Back