Roman blinds - maximum width / best design for heat

pbyrne

Hi,

I was looking for information from people who may have fitted roman blinds.

We are looking to get a window done which is pretty wide, think it is about 240cm and I was wondering if that is too wide and whether a roman blind would be too heavy for that width. I know it would depend on the weight of the material but is there any such thing as a maximum width.

The other question was around heat retention for the blind - as far as I know we could go for two designs - one where the blind is 'inside' the window and the other where the blind is 'outside' the window. Any comments on either design in terms of heat retention. Is it even fair to fair that roman blinds are as good as curtains for keeping heat in?

I can't really answer your questions re max size or heat retention but i'll give you my opinion. We have some roman blinds, and we had them fitted outside the window - i think they look much better fitted outside rather than inside the window, it frames the window much better, but that's just my personal opinion.
I don't have any windows as wide as yours but i recently saw a window as wide as that with roman blind, and i would recommend that you make sure your blind is interlined so that it has a stiff feel to it, that way it won't sag as much in the middle of the window, and it keeps the folds/pleats looking well.

We have some roman blinds, and we had them fitted outside the window - i think they look much better fitted outside rather than inside the window, it frames the window much better, but that's just my personal opinion.
ll.

I would have said the opposite - we have some fitted inside and others outside. However, all our windows have a wooden trim, so the inside blind does look slightly better.
We kept the childrens rooms as outside blinds in the hope that less light would come in, but despite blackout lining, it still get though the edges. I imagine the same would go for drafts, especially if the fabric is not completely flush with the wall, which would be a hard thing to do.
Id be inclined to go for internal ones for this reason.