Roma

greenback

The girlfriend and I are thinking of visiting Rome in a couple of weeks. Just staying for a weekend. Neither of us have been there before so we are wondering about the best location to stay in. We would like somewhere handy for sightseeing and close to a livley nightlife. Also recommendations for top hotels would be great too. Thanks a mill.

Hi,

I'm just back from Rome & sorrento at start of october. The sites are all great to see especially vatican. I wouldn't go with the expectation of of going out every nite. I didn't see any niteclubs. Drink is very expensive there> Think it was about €7 for a pint of bud. The hotels are very expensive also. We stayed in the historical centre (waliking distance from main train station- termini) and we could walk alot of places- we used the metro also. If u stay anywhere near the metro stops u should be grand. There are two metro lines and the cross in the termini station.

Hope this helps

was there last year. Travestere or something like that is meant to be the "going out" area. It's on the far bank of the river (Vatican City side). Never made it that far as were staying in a hotel near all the sights so I can't comment what it's like. The rest of Rome wasn't exactly the nightlife capital of Europe. Good spot but more from a sightseeing point of view, if you're expecting a non-stop clubbing weekend I think you're in for a disappointment.

I didn't really like the area around the train station although it was full of hotels. Can't remember name of the place I stayed but it was about a 10minute walk from the Pantheon.

Hi Greenback,

I spent a weekend in Rome the summer before last and stayed in the Hotel Majestic which is on Via Venetto. We went for our wedding anniversary and the hotel laid on a bottle of champagne for the occasion. When I was booking I advised them of this. There are numerous other hotels in this area and it is close to all the main sites although the Vatican is about a 30 minute walk. The best thing to do is get a bus tour that you can hop on and off. It is a great way to see the city.

My son and girlfriend are there at the moment - due back to-morrow night.They got a very reasonable hotel. Will get name to-morrow and let you know - also any other hightlights or lowlights.