Roll on skim...any good?

DonKing

I'm considering having a go at replastering a small area 4 metres by 1metre in my kitchen, using roll on skim.

We're getting a new kitchen in and I need to remove the old tiles between the old counter top and the overhead prices. Some of the wall will be plaster and other parts are plasterboard. I hope the walls/plasterboard won't be too bad when I remove the tiles but I presume they may need a light skimming.

Anybody any experience of roll-on skim?

Many thanks

B & Q sell a bag of DIY finish coat (can't think of the name but it comes in powder form) for about €7 which is a cinch to plaster on. It has a very fine texture and slow drying time. It sticks to the wall easily, give it ten minutes, then refinish, and then the next day you can easily sand out any marks.

Hi DonKing,

There are a few previous threads on plastering that mention the roll-on stuff, including this one. Concensus is that it's an expensive way of getting an average finish.
Leo

Hi DonKing,

There are a few previous threads on plastering that mention the roll-on stuff, including this one. Concensus is that it's an expensive way of getting an average finish.
Leo

Hi Leo, I saw the previous threads, but no-one seemed to have actually used it. When I remove the tiles and see how bad the wall is I might make a judgement call on it.

As davidco suggestted I might just use the B&Q plaster. It just seems too small an area to be getting a plaster out for.

many thanks

Back