Robben Island, South Africa

peggybetty

Hi

has anyone managed to book a trip to Robben Island before they went ? I have emailed the 2 addresses on their web site http://www.robben-island.org.za/ but have gotten no reply.

Just wondering really, is there a need to book ? I'm going in 2 weeks and want to go to Robben Island on the day I arrive....

Thanks

Hi, Phone them from your landline via the telestunt.ie access number; it's simply a local call this way. As far as I recall it's a 2 hour difference in time. Their number is on the website.

B4B

Peggybetty, I was in S.A.5 years ago and with much difficulty got to Robben Island. At that time (maybe still)the only way to land on the Island was to go on the state ferry boat. Getting a ticket for the ONE trip per day is difficult, I dont remember why something like applying to the council the week before or queueing early as first come first served and there may be none left.
I went to the tourist office in town the day before and bought a ticket for a sunset champagne cruise and got a free ticket for the state ferry. Many people will try to sell you trips to the Island but remember they cannot land ONLY THE STATE FERRY CAN LAND PEOPLE, DON'T BE CONNED.I got my info from Lonely Planet

Hello Peggybetty & Mudahawn, I was there in October 2002. There's the official shop/ticket kiosk etc. just beside the boat launch for journey to the island. I went the day before to book my ticket; easily done. As you wish to visit on day of arrival I recommend you phone (as e-mail hasn't worked out) & hopefully they'll take a credit card booking.
The tour itself is very good. I wasn't up to taking photos of the cells after the graphic talk by the guide.
Be sure to take the walkway after the visit, just before you return to the boat. It'll be on your left...........you'll see the penguins.

Hi,

I was there in February. We drove to the harbour area one morning about 9.30, went straight to the booking desk, and we were on the next sailing at 10. There are lots of sailings each day.

Rory

I understand there are several ferries per day as the prison is now used as an international conference centre (I'm going to a symposium there next year). You shouldn't encounter any problems.

Went last november no need to book just turn up on the day, well worth the trip.

Back