Roadworks Praia da Rocha - going on Sat

Cyrstal

We are going to Praia da Rocha on Saturday, we got a phonecall yesterday from Panorama Holidays to say that there was road works outside the hotel(Jupiter) we're staying in....

I rang this morning to check options - We can change date or go to another resort in Portugal(there is no other available accomodation in Praia da Rocha for our dates).

I was told that the noise was 'minimum', that it would be coming from 'hand held power tools' and small diggers....

As we have a child going over there I don't know what to do...noise is between 830 and 1800 every day...no probs as we will probably be up at this time, but noise can be heard on balcony and poolside...

Has anyone been there while roadworks going on, and how bad is it??

It's so annoying we found out at this late notice. We were told we could rebook, but that we couldn't cancel without losing our money as the roadworks were 'independent' to the hotel we were staying in....

I am so annoyed! Anyone any advice?

Re: Roadworks Praia da Rocha - going on Sat!!

Aha! This is what Falcon call an Erratum to a file. Apparently as long as they tell you about it before you go, you do not have much re-dress when you get there (or so I am led to believe!) We caught Falcon out with such a scenario - building works next door to our apartment. However they never told us before we arrived and so we had them. :D Got upgraded tho' by our insistance rather than by their generosity.

Must be bad if they are telling you about it before you go - I think I'd take their offer of another area.

Must be bad if they are telling you about it before you go - I think I'd take their offer of another area.

You should try and see what is available elsewhere. Albuiferia is good. "Hand held tools" = Kango hammers....no thanks

Alvor up the road , Lagos a little further, Albufeira . all in my opinion better than praia da rocha ,which while it has a magnificent beach is a wee bit like benidorm.

Before you make decision to change location/date, try to check with the resort (or a holiday website - e.g. tripadvisor) about the exact nature of the work.....I booked a week in Lanzarote with Direct Holidays (same parent company as Panorama) for 17-24 May & got a letter about 4 weeks before to tell me about building work at the swimming pool. We were told the same "minimum noise" story and very little else. The work had a scheduled completion date of 25th May.

When I arrived, I found (to my delight!) that the work was completed prior to 17th....however the travel company hadn't told anyone the good news! Saw people arriving on 20th/21st with letters about the work, wondering what the story was!

Cyrstal, hope you get sorted out and have a good hol.

The montechoro/praia da oura/ albuferia area is fab - 5 years since we were there and heading back this year (with a small child). Friends were there at the beginning of May with a 7mth old and loved it. Very child friendly.

Well listen to this - they offered us Malta?! And then when I said we wanted to as near to where we had been booked into as possible(at least in the same bl**dy country! they offered us a hotel in Alvor, that was 2.5km from beach, no thank you....not with a child!

So alas we're going to go with the Jupiter Hotel booking and hope for the best....seemingly there's is three grades of noise pollution Grade 3(which is unbearable we were told) Grade 2(which is medium) and Grade 1 which is non-intrusive. Our noise pollution will be Grade 2....

I feel like telling them to shove it, but we need a break too much.....

Hopefully it's not going to be too bad, if it is, we'll have to spend the days elsewhere!!

Last edited:
When you get back, would appreciate your thoughts on what exactly the roadoworks were like. Travelling to praia in september with budget travel, staying at club amarilis. got letter 2 weeks ago informing us of building work, but don't know what the story is other than that.

When you get back, would appreciate your thoughts on what exactly the roadoworks were like. Travelling to praia in september with budget travel, staying at club amarilis. got letter 2 weeks ago informing us of building work, but don't know what the story is other than that.

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

You should have a read of some of the reviews on Amarilis or

You may find something on also.

Well I'm back - and the noise was non-existent practically!! There was a little bit of noise on our last day - where they lifted the road, the rest of the time we heard nothing!! They're cobblestoning the streets on the strip outside the Jupiter hotel...have to say am really glad we didn't change venue now as location was fab!!

The flights however are a different story - never saw such cramped seating in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyrstal, I'm glad the holiday worked out for you - Malta next time, perhaps :)

Did you fly with Monarch Airlines? They do seem to have squeezed in a heck of a lot of seats, I'm not a tall person (5ft2in) but I found the seating quite cramped.

I think it was MyTravel - or is that the airline name?? Flight was MYT603 or something...the seats were so close together it was a disgrace.

After packing us all coming back, they suddenly announced that there was extra leg room seats at a cost of 30 euro?!?!? When I go flying these days I feel like I'm in some dodgy market with all the stuff that they try to sell you to make money en-route!

Back