Road Traffic Accident - USA

R

redalan

Hi

I am not sure if this is in the right forum but here goes!
My wife and I were knoecked down while crossing the street in Chicago.
We had the 'Green Man' and a car turned left and hit us.
The police were called and we got an ambulance to the hospital.
My wife sustained a fractured arm, bruised ribs and damage to the soft tissue in here ankle.
I was just wondering if anybody has had the misfortune to suffer the same type of accident and what measures they took. Can they offer any do's and don'ts about suing or can they offer the name of a good solicitor?
While in the US we saw ads for Lionel Hutz-esque lawyers but we are unsure what road (excuse the pun) to take.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards
Alan

sorry I can't be of help with the lawyer etc but in my experience the "green man" means nothing really in the US to traffic turning onto the street. I have nearly been knocked down several times because of this. Maybe it would be a good idea to look up rules of road in Chicago. What did police say?

i looked up the Illinois road rules and as I understood it vehicles may turn left or right and continue once it is clear and safe to do so.

the police issued the guy a ticket and he has a court case in August for, what I assume is a violation for proceeding when it was unsafe to do so.

to me it appears that we have an open and shut case.

OP - talk to a solicitor or the law society here, they may have an international registry of recommended solicitors that you can contact in Chicago.

Back