Road side art and why cage the bull?

DavyJones

I have spent alot of time recently on the roads of this great nation and am bemused by the road side art. Around Limerick you can see brightly coloured herds of cattle and deer (N 20). Is there a need for it or do we love to waste money?

My favorite is on the N7 outside Nenagh, there is a big stone man holding on to an even bigger bull across the road. they have been disturbed by the ongoing road works so the bull has been put in a field full of cows, but someone has built a cage around him. He must be going stone mad to be so close to those cows yet still so far away

You seem to have got enjoyment out of the 'bull' artwork, so it's probably not a complete waste of money.
Better than acres and acres of housing estates, or TD pay rises anyway.

Isn't that the whole purpose of art - to get you thinking about it whether you like it or not!

How about those moons on the N4 (or could be N6)? There's just no need for it! But in fairness, the "best" art is those two big circular yokes at the N4 toll. What's THAT all about?!

the worst one is the giant mouldering tennis ball outside templeogue tennis club.

my OH thinks the giant ball with the road signs near Naas is the worst of them all.

AFAIK a proportion of the money the NRA gets from the EU must be spent on these projects.
The Bull on one side of the road and the man on the other on the Dublin/ Limerick road is excellent.
ninsaga, I agree. BTW form your signature it looks like you are from Dublin but it could be Kilkenny. Which is it?

the worst one is the giant mouldering tennis ball outside templeogue tennis club.

my OH thinks the giant ball with the road signs near Naas is the worst of them all.

Have to disagree. I think the "[broken link removed]" monstrosity in Dun Laoghaire is one of the most awful looking things I've seen anywhere. But I like the coloured livestock!

There's one of a stag deer on the hillside heading down the Mallow Road towards Cork. As you head down it seems to appear on the skyline in the gorse, it looks magnificent. Right item in the right place.

Seemingly that stag was relieved of its manhood (or stag status more like it!) by a couple of blokes with a hacksaw a few years back!