Road opening licence fees and reinstatement charges

S

secondgo

We are building our house in a country area and have to open the road to access the sewage (btw this is our only option laid out by the council).

We are 90 meters from the sewage line and have to apply to the council for a "road opening licence". We then have to pay the council to reinstate the road after we have finished.

Has anyone done this before?
Do you know how much the opening licence is approx?

Also they have rates for resinstatement but I have no idea how wide the reinstatement will be and extra charges.

I am sure it must be 90meters in length but unsure of the witdh.

The guy in the council thinks it will be very expensive .. what ever that means.

So I am very concerned at what the cost will be.

All a bit scary. If any of you have had similar experinece I would appreciate some advice.

They width of the trench depends very much on the depth you have to go to. If allowed, dig to the minimum width possible. From memory, wide trenches 900mm cost something like €200 per m, taking into accout fees, digging, pipes and reinstatement. Your trench should be a lot smaller.

Contact a trench digging company, they would have average costs per m of different spec trenches.

what about the development levy that you have to pay. is that not supposed to cover this sort of thing. at 200 p.m thats 18k for basically a days work for a digger - scandalous

I know down our way when they opened the road for the same reason they reinstated it themselves also without saying it to the council, by the time the council realised it was done and sorted probably only €50/m or less id imagine! Hired a mini roller and a lorry of tarmac

AFAIK you need insurance to open the road i.e. that in the event of any claims been made which are due to the road been opened.

Thank you so much for all your replies they are very helpful unlike the council.
The builder on our site reckons he could do the digging and pipe laying for around 3k. The council said we have to do this ourselves but I think they actually do the reinstatement afterwards.

I checked the waterford county council reinstatement fees on their website it goes like this:
[broken link removed]

Minimum charge shall be for 5 meters *
SURFACE
RATE (€ per m2)
DEPOSIT (minimum)
FOOTPATH
Macadam
Concrete
Limestone
Brick Paving

CARRIAGEWAY
Macadam
Concrete
Asphalt

UNSURFACED AREA
Waterbound Macadam

ROADSIDE MARGIN
Grass

KERB
N/A
64.12 per kerb
Where applicable

ROAD MARKINGS
N/A
8.02 per metre
Where applicable

so the total cost would be :
builders excavation and pipe laying: ~3000
materials ata guess : ~700
Administration fee 96.18 euro
Cost of public liability insurance (unknown of yet) guess : ~1000 ??
"taking typical depths of cover as 750mm in carriageways" I am making this assumption. so say approx :
90m*.75*96.19 = 6492 (assuming it is asphalt which it possibliy is not).
plus a connection fee to the sewage of 1500
any other charges from the council who knows??
2 manhole covers cost unknown?

so possibly about 12790 upwards.

Do you think I am totally off here? I know we will have to estimate the width for the dig with the builder and figure out the rate to pay depending on the material on the road. so it may go up or down. I am just wondering have I left something out here?
A few things have confused me about this they also say that
In addition, 10% will be added to the rate if more than one duct is needed. I wonder is this 10% to the 96.18 rate ...
and what do they mean by ducts? We have 2 manhole openings so does that mean we have 2 ducts my inexperineced guess.

The whole idea of paying the council the reinstatement charge is to pass all libility of future damage to road users off to the council.

Trying to do this on the cheap might end being penny wise and pound foolish.

OP, In your own case - can you run the sewage pipe in private property until you actually have to enter the public road the connect to the existing pipe?

ok the council got back to me and said that we actually have to do the reinstatement ourselves also. But we give them a non-refundable deposit of 1575 euro just incase the job is not done correctly.
That is based on a 600mm opening.
So we give them money for nothing of money just incase the job is not done correctly... and I guess we hand over the liabilty for the future (I assume)
It probably is not possible to run through private land but we will certainly be looking into it.

Use of the term 'deposit' would suggest this is refundable assuming you do the job correctly.
Leo