Risk of being over drink drive limit following morning?

markowitzman

Does anyone have guideline as to how much person can drink night before without risk of being over the limit the following morning?
I realise there would be individual variation. If I am out I would wait until maybe 11 following morning before driving after maybe 3-4 pints night before.
Is this safe?..........probabaly not !

This was covered extensively on the marian finucane radio show this weekend. Experts gave opinions on limits, morning afters etc. See if it can be downloaded from RTE website

It can take up to 12 hours to be safe to drive after drinking one bottle of wine.
It can take up to 12 hours to be safe to drive after drinking four pints of continental lager or ale

I think your system breaks down 1 unit of alcohol per hour on average.
4 pints approx 8 hours.
not medically qualified!

TV3 showed a gadget yesterday morning for testing yourself to see what your capacity was before you went over the limit. Might be worth considering. Don't see it advertised on the site but you could give them a call if you want more info. Wouldn't take it as gospel but merely a general indicator.

Abstinence is, of course, the best indicator. Speaking from experience like you know

yep.the breath machine cost €150, i think its a bit steep..but may worth while for some people. i think u can get it from ebay or maple electonic for much less!

http://www.testers.ie/?gclid=CLuimPzqyIgCFRkrEQodnXGNCg
Here's a link to one for €99.

The Gardaí are really clamping down on this. They were on Centre Park Rd in Cork on Monday morning from 7-10am and were recently on Ringaskiddy road early morning too.

TBH while I don't encourage drink driving, accidents are NOT happening at 7/8am in the monring - they are happening with high levels of drink/drugs/tiredness at 3/4/5am in the morning - when the Gardai are nowhere to be found - probably tucked up in their beds.

It would appear everyone will have to get a taxi or lift to and from work the day after drink.

there is a alcohol breath tester for €14 on [broken link removed]

might get one myself.
heard of someone you was done for drink driving at 11.30am after having their last drink at 9pm the previous night. they were drinking from about 1oclock so it must stay in the system quite a while.

Nobody can confirm with certainty how long alcohol stays in your system. It would appear it is quite complex and a lot of factors are involved - incl. whether you have eaten and your build.

it's a very interesting one really that we should all know our own capabilities. I usually have one drink if I'm driving but have been known to have a top-up, reasoning over the big dinner I've eaten etc etc. but I don't really know and have never been breathalized.

Wouldn't it be a good one for the road-safety crowd to tackle? There should be guards offering free tests outside the pubs in a non-agressive manner "get your breathalizer test, 2 for 50" so people can guage how a glass or 2 effects them. And how it differs from person to person. Who wants to write to Gay Byrne??

Does anyone have guideline as to how much person can drink night before without risk of being over the limit the following morning?

There is no reliable guide in terms of the quantity of alcoholic drink that you can consume and be under the legal limit of 80 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood precisely because of the individual variation that you mention.

there is a alcohol breath tester for €14 on [broken link removed]

Don't bother, it's crap. Have one and tried it in the wee hours after a long one, didn't register as being over the limit!

Got a couple of the AL-6000 ones as advertised by [broken link removed] for €120, couple of family members jobs mean they're on the road all day. These testers were featured in the papers recently, but papers said they were €99, they even have the Independent article on their site that mentions this price. So decided to go to EBay, and got them for under €65 each including shipping.

Seem to be good quality and accurate enough.
Leo

they catch is, if you are sobber enough to use them, you probably know you should drive or not!

TBH while I don't encourage drink driving, accidents are NOT happening at 7/8am in the monring - .

While I agree that most driving incidents occur at night time,there actually do seem to be a good number of accidents in the early morning, many of them unfortunately fatal.

Last edited:
I couldn't locate any statistics of RTA at various times of the day but the accidents that do occur in the morning could be due to something other than drink - maybe driver is still asleep, applying makeup, reading the paper, on a mobile, shaving, eating breakfast...... I'm sure we've all seen it!

So would everyone here who advocates a taxi or bus to work, be happy enough that the individual whose judgement is meant to be "impaired" is able to function in a job that carry great weights of responsibility?

Personally, I think the morning breath tests are a form of bullying and massaging of conviction figures.

They nicely counterbalance the incompetence on the side of the police that stops them from breathalysing completely rat-arsed persons leaving pub and nightclub vicinities behind the wheel.

I still think it is still important to test in the mornings as well as at night, because, even though there are genuine cases where people only have 3 or 4 the night before and get bagged the following morning and they're over the limit, well if they are still over the limit the following morning they shouldn't be driving, a couple of hours sleep shouldn't mean automatic immunity. I know where I work, on a Monday morning it woudn't be rare to get a whiff of alcohol from the night before around the office..... groggy, tired, still tipsy, are these people a danger on the road, methinks yes..